Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Default 9799140 Block

Hello !!
I am trying to clean out some of my old Pontiac parts so that I can begin on a new project. I have a std bore 9799140 block with a YC code on it. On the back of the block the date is K-259 and 70.I am trying to remember what this block is out of. I took it out of a 69 Bird that we use to street race back in about 1981. It has been sitting on a shelf in my shop since about 1982-1983, when I purchased it from my partner. There is a 7 digit vin on the front of the block also. Is there a site I can go to to find out what this was originally in, or should I contact PHS for the information ?? Also on the 722 heads, I do not see a casting date. Does this mean they are over the counter heads, or am I not looking in the proper place??
Any help would be appreciated !
Regards Brian

Old 03-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The K259 YC coded "140" block is a mid year '70 GTO 455 auto piece. Have two '70 YC's myself. The partial VIN is easily decoded, you might post it.

Production "722"s & "614's did not have date codes. The date code pad was originally placed under the valve area where the center head bolt goes through. When this hole was machined, no room for a date code.

Service replacement "614"s will have external date codes. Also, the SR "614"s will have one set of paired rocker bosses. This came about with the casting of SR "614"s after 11/16/70. I've personally never ran across a pair of SR 722's. Would be interesting if a pair ever surface with external dates.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Default 9799140 block

Hello , and THANK YOU for the information. From what I can see the vin is 0290119. So, from your post, my heads should not have a date code, correct?? The pistons are L2359 F TRW's. These were not factory pistons were they ?? The crank is a 9799103 N, which I believe would be the correct one for this engine. Also, were all of the 140 blocks 4 bolt main?? I purchased new ARP head and main studs for the block years ago, but never installed them. I am continually digging out boxes with Pontiac parts for this engine. I just found a new Moroso deep oil pan, Mellings pump, Cloyes true roller timing chain and gears. I really don't remember what all I have for this engine. It is interesting opening boxes, as I am unsure what I'm going to find.
I do appreciate the information !!
Regards Brian

Old 03-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A real 455 HO for 70

I'm far from an engine person. But, if you have 70 455 short block with 722 roundport heads, and you add a alum intakes with a 800 CFM carb. You could build the engine Pontiac should have built for the 70 455 HO.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Default 9799140 Block

Well, I didn't work for Pontiac, but I did work at a Chevy dealership back in the mid to late 70's. I haven't located it yet, but I had a aluminum intake, and a 850 Holley double pumper on it. Unfortunataly, I sold the Ram Air IV intake, crossover, correct carb, and original exhaust manifolds a few years ago. A BUDDY ???? said he needed them for his race-storation of his car, so I sold them to him cheap. The SOB turned around an sold them for some big bucks and never even installed them on his car. I am slowly learning who my friends are.
Regards Brian

Old 03-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Default 9799140 Block

Hello again !!
I have heard that the number 0290119 that is by the YC on this block is not the vin#. If this is so, could someone tell me how to decode this number, and also where the vin # is located.
Any help, would be appreciated. THANKS!!!!
Regards Brian

Old 03-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 0290119 is the Engine Unit Number (or Motor Unit Number).
The partial VIN is stamped lower next ot where the timing cover is on passenger side, about where the radiator hose outlet is.
Looks something like 20P1xxxxx

Also could fill in my EUN form when you get all the numbers.
EUN Input Form

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-18-2006, 04:56 PM

Default 9799140 Block

Hello John, and THANKS for answering !!
The Vin is 20P253473 on the block. I will fill out the info on your website shortly. Should I spend the money for the Pontiac Historical Society paper work, or not. I am just getting this stuff around to sell anyway. I don't know if that paper work would help on the value of the block. Maybe there are a ton of YC blocks out there. If there is a bunch, I wonder how many are still std. bore ??
Any and all comments are welcome.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, AND CONSIDERATION !!!!!!!
Regards Brian

Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 AM

Default 9799140 Block

Hello again !!

I'm still not having any luck, finding any more info on this block. Can anyone help me with contact information for the Pontiac Historical Society. I have found their website. I would like to know if they can provide information from just the vin on the block. There is no phone number, they state, the fax line is not for questions, and my email was bounced back as undeliverable !! I don't have a problem, spending the $35.00, I just want to know if they can do the search with just the block information !!
Any Help here guys ??? Also John, I did fill out your EUN form.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, AND CONSIDERATION !!!!!!
Regards Brian

Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PHS can send you a packet using just the VIN (20P253473) from the engine.
Thanks for sending the EUN info.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates