Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Timing Light Reccomendation...

Well folks it is time to replace my old timing light and I am looking for suggestions on a nice unit, I will spend good money for a good light and have been looking at Snap-On, Mac, OTC, Craftsman, ect...If you have one that you are very pleased with I would like to hear your thoughts and views and of course what to STAY away from. I hear that the "dial" in type are more user friendly with MSD units because the digital signal jumps around a bit (true or not I do not know for this was hear say). I do not own any MSD equiped engines but friends do so my new light should have the ability to work on their stuff as well (I am constantly borrowing out tools). Please share your thoughts especially you guys out there wrenching for a living or regular participants at the track.

Thank You in advance for your time...Tim john---

Old 03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Timing light

Summit makes their own dial back timimg light, nice stuff,
inexpensive $ 70.00 ?

Pontiac Gregg

Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Greg, I never though of looking at Summit, guess not being a drag racer kept this from my mind. I'll certainly look into it though. Thank You for your opinion.

Tim.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to the-rookie

Ditto in the summit light. I got one for Christmas

Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont recommend the dial on MSDs. A straight up sears IS what i use on my racer & stock JUDGE.

TOTAL timing is Total timing reguardless of all the bells & whistles. Its some times better to mark the balancer than mess with the dial LIGHTS

Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The summit dialback does NOT work w/a MSD box. I have one. I works fine otherwise, but there are only a few dialbacks ( read expensive ) that will work w/an MSD box. I have tested the light back to back on my two cars with and w/o MSD 6al and verified via summit tech support.

I like a dialback don't get me wrong, just want you to have accurate info.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank You for everyones advice, I am taking everything into consideration, some very interesting comments have arisen and this is exactly what I was looking for in my initial question. Thanks again and please add more comments if you care to.

Tim

Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Craftsman also makes a dial-back timing light, for the same $70 range, may be quicker than ordering one. Mine seems to work fine. Probably made by the same company anyway.