Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Corvette suspension

Has any member installed the front suspension kit available from a non-supporting vendor on their front end for a early second generation Trans Am? If so, what was the difference in ride and handling and what were the alignment specs used? Thanks,

Glen

Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Or has anyone installed an independent rear suspension into a 2nd gen Trans Am?

Glen

Old 01-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

u mean VBP's front kit?

Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Yes, that is the kit I am referring to.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 AM

I think what scares everyone away is the cutting of the subframe near the lower A arm pivots to facilitate the spring running thru it.
see HOTROD article
http://www.vbandp.com/pdf/HOTROD.pdf

Old 01-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply dreambird. I guess I'll do a coil-over if I am in need of further handling upgrades.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dreambird, please, post for me some pictures of your car!
i'm in a color dilemma and something real close to yours is one choice - white/blue and lucy blue/white are the others...
thanks!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Check out the "Air Ride" stuff ....very trick and stock replacement
also has a 4 link set up for 2nd gen Fbody "Airbar" recently reviewed in a mag I cant find right now ,I think Pop hot rodding
http://ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave.asp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKW1010.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	40129  

Old 01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VBP states clearly that the mono leaf setup is not for performance applications, fyi. Same with the fiber rear leafs. As for IRSs, cost so far outweights performance gains that's it's really only a wow factor. The article in the new issue of 'X' mag states that handling is at least as good as it was with the best setup prior, and I have disagreements with the way that was, as I'm sure other's do as well. To take this a step further, I've spoke with people who have adapted vette front suspensions to 2nd gens, and again, the cost versus performance gains is questionable. There are other gains though, like a wider variety of brake options for one. What can a C4/C5 do on a skid pad? 1? 1.1? Maybe 1.2? What was Herb Adams getting out of his 2nd gens? About the same, and that was back in 'the day'. Sure, there's a matter of balance and feel, but that would be easier to address then chopping your front clip off and flame-wrenching a vette front end on, don't you think? My 2 cents, all are welcome to hack away...

Old 01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, Dreambird72, I still druel...

Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you have drool on you.
go eat some gruel.

far as the vbp front kit, i sell their stuff (very infrequently) and don't recall any warnings as to competition use of their front kit; it's leaf spring is not carrying any lateral load as do the rear springs; no reason i can see for any issues there.
but as noted above, 2nd gens actaully were blessed with an excellent oem front end; no real reason to change it's inherent design, adn indded, none of the kits really do - even vbp's required modes are to accomodate the spring, not to change front end geometry.

far as skidpad numers go, they mean dick.
zero, zilch, nada.
put big stupid tires on something and it'll pull numbers; handling is what the car does dynamically and what's important.
replace the springs with steel bars, or wood, or cinderblocks and a car will pull good numbers...would you want to drive it?

see 1984 Z51 corvette by way of a real world analogy.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mmm! The gruel was good! Washed it down with a beer! Heh-heh! On the VBP front kit, maybe the statement I remember (aging brain syndrome) is for the rears, since the comment on lateral makes sense, but I recall doing the research when it came out, and had a number of conversations with tech there at VBP. I do though know that there was a hands-down reason I chose not to do it, maybe it had something to do with rate, but for some reason I though it was because of the spring itself. Does the front kit require the VBP uppers? Maybe not, but I did run their' uppers for years, which did change some geometry for the better. Your right about skidpad numbers, though it does offer a basic guideline. Slalom comparisons would be more of a guideline, but really driving the car on a road course would be a true test. And if you put big stupid tires on a otherwise stock short wheelbase car, it won't pull numbers like a longer wheelbase car, not to mention how weight, alignment, or bumpsteer would effect the numbers. (ok, maybe not bumpsteer if the suspension is rigid).. Oh, and I have some gruel left over! (bring your own beer)

Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

beer...........i like beer.
makes my gruel even tastier!
and, for an extra earthy treat, replace all water in all gruel with beer.
hell, replace all water in all food with beer!
speedshopmike for mayor!

Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heh-heh! Your a trip Mike, and I need to make an effort to come up and say hey, go for a beer or something!