Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Noew GTO motor available as a crate ?

Is the motor in the new GTO available as a crate engine from the catalog houses or GM ? Would that mate to a 700R4 Tranny ? Can it be set up easily to run in a '66 Lemans ? I like the idea of keeping a Pontiac looking Pontiac when you open the hood. I hate seeing Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs with Chevy crate engines. I think this engine is a version of the LS5 or LS6 Chevy, but at least it would say Pontiac on it. Any ideas here ?

Jay B

Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, you can get a crate LS6 in a couple of different versions, here's one...

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...268-P10C0.aspx

There are also lots of re-sellers of used LS6's harvested from Camaro's, FB's, Vettes and GTO's that are pulled out of ditches shiny-side-down. Just do a search on eBay and you should see several of them.

But as far as I know they don't make a specific "Pontiac" version of this GM engine in crate form. You'd have to get those plastic "GTO" covers or an actual GTO LS6 from a wrecked car or off eBay or something.

This wouldn't be a bolt-in swap by any means and could be a little tricky, but definitely could be done.

There are some excellent forums that would be a lot of help at http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ - many folks there have swapped LS1-LS7 engines into vintage cars, including A-bodies (mainly Chevelles).

I looked pretty hard at this option and did some research, and came to the conclusion that even if you were able to do this as cheaply as possible, it would still cost you more and be way more trouble than a seriously bad-ass professionally built and tricked out 455.

And you'd retain the respect of your Pontiac colleagues as well, which is of course the most important of all.

Chris

We are building a bad-ass, hot-looking, hot-running Pontiac street machine.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM

fUNNY you say that. After researching it today, I decided to do the 455 also. Tricked out and fuel injected.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Suspended

This post is major old, and the only reason I'm here is taking a peek. The new goat has a corperate GM engine. That means that it's a chevy engine, and you won't win any brownie points with the Pontiac guys by putting a chevy engine in your car.

In fact the pontiac guys would probally hang me if they knew I was here looking around because I have mentioned the possibility of going with the chevy boys if I were to install a new engine in my car, a 9 bird. If you're going to get a crate engine from GM go with the traditional chevy engine because you'll get the most hp for the buck, compared to the new goat engine.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Suspended

starting in the late 70s, corporate engines like the olds 403, chevy 305, etc. into pontiacs, so this is nothing new.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unless you were around in the 70's, Pontiac did a massive liquidation sale of COMPLETE RAIV engines, short blocks and heads. This sale was published through the Pontaic dealership publications in the late 70's.

Fortunatly, I was able to pick up three sets of bare 1969 RAIV heads. Two of my friends that had the cash, Bought 20 sets of the heads, 15 of the complete RAIV engines and short blocks. The engines then sold ,on sale, for just under $1000.00. The heads cost $125.00 a piece.

Forward to 2006...I have sold all three sets of the heads. The last set sold for $1200 in 1994. From what I know, all but two of the engines have been sold to others and remain in the estate of the late Bob Maxey. His wife Ruth knows the value and will not sell for less than 20K a piece. I plan to keep in touch!