Old 01-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

I think the driveshaft and shifter tube would work in a '63. I've heard (unsubstantiated) that the transaxle is different from the '61/62 to the '63 due to the revision of the swing arm design that occured in '63. Seems to me that the swing arm mounts on the diff. may be the only difference, which would be easily overcome, but this is mere SPECULATION based on an UNSUBSTANTIATED opinion I heard from somebody. Maybe one of the more knowledgable Tempest owners can shed some more light...

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Maybe I could get a couple of pictures posted in the next few days for you to take a look at and make comparisons. Donnie

Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

vw65gto, Please do post photos.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-24-2006, 11:29 PM

Default 62 4-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv65gto
I have a complete drivetrain from a 62. It was a four speed four barrel. It had been sitting in a friend's junk yard for years. He was going to crush it so I talked him into selling me the drivetrain. I have a 61' with a 3 speed and thought about changing it to the four speed, but that is not likely to happen. I don't know anything about the transaxle other than it seems to shift ok into all gears. The torque tube is rusted form sitting on the ground for years. I don't know if this is something you would be interested in or not. I will be traveling to Charlotte this coming Friday morning. I also wouldn't have any idea to it's value. Let me know if you think you might be interested. Donnie
Donnie, Thanks for e-mailing me. I have been travelling on my job, just returning tonight. Would you please e-mail me at tarheeltempest@bellsouth.net? Yes, I am interested and will be in Charlotte on Friday as that is where I work, just off I-85. Thanks. THT