Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 AM

Default 64 GTO - Info on car I'm looking at.

I was recently approached by a old friend who has a 64 post coupe in his barn. Car was originally from the Virginia area. Strange car-- colors decode as black with a silver roof and tan interior. Got to look strange if put back to original. Bucket seat with 4 spd but no console, also this is a tri-power car. It has been mentioned to me several of these were built as factory race cars. Anyone ever hear of this combo? Car is pretty solid and complete (it was taken apart about 20-25 years ago and has sat in a barn on a concrete floor since then). The only rust I could find was a silver dollar size hole at the base of the back window. The frame looks like new. I'm really not looking for another 64 but the guy wants 3k for it as is. I'm going to put it thru PHS to insure it is legit but the guy who has it is a old friend and he has known/owned the car for about 25 years. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciate before I buy.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good deal for a rust-free car whether it's a GTO or not. Odd color combo makes it neat IMO.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree - buy it. It's worth more than $3k whether its a GTO or not.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

Hell, if you don't want it, PM me, I'd be interested in it.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen several two-tone body color '64 GTO's through the years, including in the '60's. The beltline chrome strip was used to separate colors on these cars the same as if it was ordered with a vinyl top.

I bought a '64 GTO new from Phil Tolkan Pontiac in Milwaukee with 4 speed, bucket seats, and no console. This was fairly common.

I never heard of factory race '64 GTO's. The only "race" cars were the ones given to magazines for testing--like the famous Car & Driver road test. Remember, it did 0-100 in 12.1 seconds? According to Milt Shornack, they used 421 tripower engines in these cars. One of them was a red post coupe. I don't know how many were put together like this. Remember, this was after GM's ban on factory sponsored racing.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:33 AM

Thanks Dick, The more I think about it the more I know I have to buy it even if there is no race car history. I don't need another 64 but from looking at some of the people on this board it hasn't stopped them. I guess we all passed need a long way back and now just enjoy them all.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with Dick on the two tone deal. Have seen a couple of Midnight Blue bottoms with white tops and light blue interiors.

As far as the race car deal goes, I am not aware of any Factory 64 race car stuff. You have the Magazine cars DB mentioned, one was the Bill Sherman red 64 GTO and the other car was the Blue Car.

The Blue car was supposed to have been burned in a fire and insurance money paid. Rumor is the car is still alive, somewhere.

Outside of those two cars, the rest would have been privately campaigned cars like Bill Banks "Boppin' Bear", Arnie' 64 blower car, etc.

The next time the 64s were in the news was with Herb Adams Trans Am Tempest that ran against the factory cars and gave them a scare. That car is now called the Spoerl car(sp).

Not much documented racing history on the 64s.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

Wasn't around at the time, Tom. Or I was, but in 1/4 scale. Though had heard the blue car, which was a pilot car sans #'s, was crushed by the factory shortly upon return from C&D test. Was also told the blue car was 389 equipped. Again, I wasn't there, just passing along what was passed along to me.