Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 PM

Question 1974 SD 455

Can anybody tell me what a MINT 74 SD T/A 4 speed loaded with 38K one owner car is worth?
thanks
Lanny

Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1974 SD 455

Lanny, Go to autabuy.com, there are two 74 SD T/A's listed there, one is an auto, one is a 4 speed with A/C. The 4 speed asking price is $69,998.00 The auto doesn't have a price listed, but there is contact information.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's a truely mint, 38,000 mile original car with all the numbers matching, etc, etc, it is worth 50K minimum.

What is the color combo? Do you own this or are you looking at it?

We need pictures and details to answer honestly.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 PM

Talking 1974 T/a

The car is a friends friend and this car IS ALL original even down to the air filter,tires,plugs & wires.
This car is red and I don't recall what color the interior is I think black we looked at several other cars he ownes.
And I know the question already NO he will not sell any of them at least not yet . except the Trans Am
I can't say enough about this car it IS LIKE NEW .
Thanks
Lanny

Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Hey,
I'd like to talk to the owner if he is really interested in selling.
Please send a pm with information for me to follow-up with.
Thanks,
Brewster
Oh, that car for 69k has been for sale for along time. It was at Volo and its back in Skokie since it was consignment.

Last edited by Brewster; 12-20-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

Speaking of SD,How come no one bites on the one form Legendary motorcar in Ontario,Canada.Its been there for a while.
Thanks

Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a reminder, as this topic has been discussed on numerous occasions.

A/C was not available on manual transmission SD455 cars.

Mike

Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

redonred81,
I checked out that site and looks like shes been gone over pretty good. Notice the firewall/springs/rear trunk lock, misc hardware paint red ? brake booster, altenator bracket, fan painted black ?
Crack dash, wrong dash bezel, left rear doesnt line up with bumper to good ? and thats from a quick view. Got to see a car for the real test.
It might be all there however, just not factory correct colors.
Sounds killer, and Im sure she rips.
Wonder how much ?

Old 12-21-2005, 12:35 AM

Brewster, can you please explain the wrong dash bezel? Can the cracked dash be repaired? I have been wondering about this car too, it's been listed for about six months. They are asking U.S. $39,900, VIN 2V87X4N117241. Originally sold to Canada, now has 30,822 miles. All numbers match, frame off restored 2-3 yrs ago. In the pics the bottom door ledges appear to be chrome, shouldn't that be body color? A $2,000 non-refundable deposit is required to take it off the market.

I visited Volo yesterday and the owner said the 4 spd car has a $500 deposit on it and is off the market while potential buyer inspects. The other red SD car for sale there is VIN 2V87X4N159948. Sold 6/74 to Rolla Missouri. Wrong decals, tailight bezels painted black instead of body color, bottoms of front grill painted black instead of argent silver, cracked honeycomb wheels, but all numbers match. Flowmaster undercar exhaust instead of transverse rear muffler. They are asking $49,998!

Help me out guys, I am serious about buying an SD and would appreciate any input. I own a 77 Formula but this will be my first T/A. Thanks so much

Old 12-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4-Days Till Christmas,
From what I recall the dash bezel should have the RT Suspension tag above the sterring column, not on the glove box. The dash can be replaced but I heard its quit a job. The paint thing is not that big of a deal depending on what your doing with the car.
If your serious go see teh car.
Check the front fenders for dates along with the hood, and cowl support to determine if its been in a crash or fender bender. Check rear quarters, and those rockers under the doors. Maybe their trying to hide something with that trim.
Use the things found wrong to note them to seller and beat the down to 36k area.
Oh, check numbers, heat shroud, ............................... while your there.
There is nothing like getting under and in a car to check things out.
Good Luck, and stay away from that car in Skokie,Volo Red 4-speed a/c car. It is still for sale and moving around because its got many issues.
Ho-Ho-Ho
Hope this helps. If more info is needed I can turn you on to some 74 SD guys since I dont have one yet. Still looking myself.
There is one on Classical Pontiac for sale too.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brew:

In 74, the RTS emblem is on the glovebox door only. It didn't move up to the dash bezel until 1975. You, of all people should know these things. Get it together or don't post on these topics any longer. LOLOLOLOL

BTW: If anybody has a godd 73-74 T/A dash bezel I am looking for one.

Brian: Have a great X-mas!!!! How's the snow up ther in the north woods?

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike
Just a reminder, as this topic has been discussed on numerous occasions.

A/C was not available on manual transmission SD455 cars.

Mike
I'm not as hip on '74 details, but I thought you could get a 74 SD455, 4 speed with a/c. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tim.

73 Trans Am, SD-455, 4-Speed, Brewster Green
73 Formula, 455, 4-Speed, Ascot Silver
73 Formula, 455, Navaho Orange Survivor
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Anyone know anything about the VINs/backgrounds on the two cars I am looking at? Sellers on both claim no knowledge of number/location of prior owners.
Brewster, who are the 1974 owners you referred to, can you post their User Names or send me a pm? Thinking I may be better off buying from an enthusiast rather than a consignment store/dealership. I am really concerned about that LMC car being for sale for so long, someone must know why.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeap, your Right Bobbo. Just had to put something in there to make sure your watching.
AAAAAAAAh, Mikes right in saying A/C was Not available on any SD cars with a 4-speed (73-74). However there are some out there, and one can only guess ? and thats a whole nother topic.

Hey Kainsel, Its always a good idea to purchase something from creditable rep, v/s someone just trying to make a buck. You never know where you'll find a car, the thing is to use all your resources to make sure its what you want. Talking to guys on this Forum is one great way to pick many brains (even is some are dull at times) at once to get quick answers.
Sorry I dont know anything about this 74 auto but try New Topic and see what happens.
Hooooooooooooooooo-Ho-Ho to all you Trans Am owners.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Redgoat,

There is another thread on this forum where the 4-spd SD with a/c is discussed. If my memory is correct, Rocky provided some factory documentation to back this up. It has been discussed within the last six months, so you can do a search on the topic.

The following late 60s/early 70s cars were not available with a/c:

69 GP 428HO 4-spd
73-74 SD455 Firebirds
68-70 Ram II and Ram IV GTOs and Firebirds.

I'm not sure about Ram I cars.

Some people will argue this, but I don't think you could get a/c with any rear gear numericaly higher than 3.42 on the Firebird, and 3.55 on the GTO. As I understand it, the higher RPMs wear out the compressor. If you gear the a/c down, it doesn't put out properly at idle.

I will add one thing I remember seeing in a magazine long time ago. I believe a guy in Atlanta area wanted a SD 4-spd, but with a/c. After finding he couldn't get it, he ordered an automatic and converted it to 4-spd. I believe the car was red. I think the article was in Collectible Automobile.

Mike