Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Tell me my transmission is OK

Have a Turbo 400 that I took to a local shop for a complete rebuild. It was recommended to me because the transmission guy there is a drag racer (runs in the low 9's, is building a prostock). He has a great reputation at the race track for doing transmissions and the shop is very reputable. Put the engine and trans in, hooked up the cooling lines, etc. and started putting trans fluid in. Tech manual calls for 9 quarts, 1 of which is in the torque converter. I know you are supposed to put trans fluid in when the engine is running, but I wanted to have some in there for the initial start up (we are about 1 - 2 months away from startup). After putting about 6 quarts in it started coming out the tailshaft. The dipstick showed it to definately be overfilled. Question, will an overfilled transmission leak out of the tailshaft area? Called the shop and they said they were not surprised since the engine was not running and fluid just built up in the case. They said if it leaked after it was running they would stand behind it but that I should not worry. What do you trans experts feel about this?

Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should have no problems. Putting in six quarts is probably a bit much to put in before starting it. Usually I put in four qts. So just start it up and top it off. Also the TH400's don't like to be overfilled because it will push the oil out the vent when it gets good and warm.

Fill it to the bottom of the add mark. The shift it through all the gears. Then check the level and add to get to the bottom of the add mark if necessary. The take it for a drive to get it up to operating temps and then check the level and if necessary add to get to the full mark.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shop is correct. I usually begin by adding 5 quarts, then start the engine and add the rest. Add fluid so it shows a bit low on the stick. Run the engine til the trans is completely warmed up, and move the shift lever through all the gears. Top off as needed.

Be careful when checking the level as you fill--the fluid will hang around in the dipstick tube a surprisingly long time. That can give you false (high) readings. Give the fluid time to run out of the tube before stuffing the stick back in.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate the reassurance that all is OK. Will follow your suggestions.