Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard somwhere that there is an aluminum lightweight master cylinder that is a bolt in for a 64-72 A-Body. Does anyone know about this conversion or have done it? What is the donor car? What about the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder, use the one from the donor car or use your original?

Tim Corcoran

Old 01-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard somwhere that there is an aluminum lightweight master cylinder that is a bolt in for a 64-72 A-Body. Does anyone know about this conversion or have done it? What is the donor car? What about the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder, use the one from the donor car or use your original?

Tim Corcoran

Old 01-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

Tim... How much weight could you actually save with an aluminum master cylinder? 5 to 8 lbs? I would think there's a better place to save weight. I know.... I got my 69 Bird down from 3150 to 2996. Fiberglass, aluminum, and other changes got me there.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 01-14-2002, 10:52 PM
On Vacation

I have done it with both the Wilwood kit and the Mopar master cylinder. From what I hear and have seen, Wilwood used a Mopar unit for their mould, so its basically the same thing. I'll have to check out which Mopar cars and vans have the "good" units with one of my Mopar buddies if you're interested, since I can't seem to remeber.

There is a small modification that needs to take place to use them on a GM car. It seems the Mopar mounting studs on the firewall are slightly closer together than the GM cars, so I had a buddy of mine put my Wilwood unit in his bridgeport to widen the ends (not much room to work in there!) This is again one of those little mods that no one seems to remember to tell you to do when you buy one from them. As with every other "custom bolt on" it turns out to be more work for the buyer. Hope this helps. E-mail me if you want to know whicht Mopar cars and vans to look for.