Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Senior Chief

Build your own injection controller for cheap...

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

This website, which I found through Circuit Cellar magazine, explains how to build your own fuel injection for a couple hundred bucks. Very good info here...

Karl

T350 w/10" 22-2400 stall
1.71 60ft
7.48 at 94.08 1/8th
11.70 at 117.95 1/4

New Engine:
Destroked 455+.039"=448"
Running the same Grand Am 255/60/15 radials
with the same Qjet, ignition, and trans:
1.78 60ft
7.32 at 97.81 1/8th
11.22 at 121.5 1/4
Only run once, can't wait to tune on it...
Old 04-13-2002, 11:54 AM
Boost Engineer

I agree Karl,
Very good info, except I do not understand half of it and I am an engineer. If I was an electrical
Engineer then it would be no problem as you and
they understand the language like I understand
the "Boost" language. This does not mean that I
will not continue to look at the site and I may
spend the money to see if An OLD dog can learn new tricks! Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

What I like about the Megasquirt system is that it concentrates only on the basic neccesities needed for a functioning injection system. It is an excellent way to learn about how they work. You don't need to understand the electronics or the programming to build one, just how to solder. All the difficult work has been done for you and layed out in a format that allows for upgrade and modification.

Some of the sensors in my data acquisition and future injection are the same as the ones used in this site. I would have adopted the same system and built one myself, however, they chose to use a chipset that is one of the few I have zero experience with...not that much is different, but my workbench and bookshelf are full of parts, chips, and reference material for microcontrollers that are not Motorola 68xx series.

So anyone who chooses to build one, I would be more than happy to help, the software and concepts are the same as what I build myself, just certain specific details and needed extras are different, and I don't want to spend more time and money setting myself up to program a different brand of chip, when the ones I have will do the job.

Also, there approach in building a simple system, without ignition control, is excellent for anyone wanting to learn, so they can build it into whatever they want in the future, you don't need to be an engineer, just determined and focused.

The best way is to build it as a workbench prototype...use LED's instead of injectors, so you can sit at your workbench and computer, and play with the system and its parameters to see what it does and how it behaves. Once you are comfortable with how everything works and goes together...build a fuel system, and stick it in a car!

Most of us are on the kind of budget, that does not allow for $2500 injection systems. And my personal belief, is you can get far more out of any of these systems, if you understand how they work. And building your own simple system is one of the best ways I can think of to learn such things.

My plan is not to install a killer setup in my GTO all at once and try to debug it...instead, I will build a very simple batch fire system for my Plymouth Valiant, using the $7 throttle body I bought at the surplus store. I can debug the sensor routines, wiring issues, fuel system concerns, but only risk a worn out /6 engine, and not risk the engine in my GTO, or take it out of use until I have the bugs worked out...in fact, I'm seriously considering building an engine test stand, so I can build a complete, high performance, sequential system, without dealing with the car until it is a working system.

By then, the data acquisition should be debugged in the GTO, and it should be minimal(LOL) hassle to adapt a complete sequential system. Personally, I consider the fuel system to be the biggest pain in trying to adapt to injection. But maybe that is because I still have just a mechanical pump and a single line to the carb...so everything needs the once over in my car.

Another advantage of using my Slant6, the fuel system can be minimal, relative to what it takes for a 600hp GTO. I should be able to adapt any number of u-pull-it yard fuel systems to work for a low pro situation like this.

Tom...if you step up and build one, I'd be more than happy to help you through it all.

Karl

T350 w/10" 22-2400 stall
1.71 60ft
7.48 at 94.08 1/8th
11.70 at 117.95 1/4

New Engine:
Destroked 455+.039"=448"
1.78 60ft
7.32 at 97.81 1/8th
11.22 at 121.5 1/4
Old 04-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry bout the double post, my internet connection quit in the middle of loading.

Karl

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: GTO Karl ]</p>

T350 w/10" 22-2400 stall
1.71 60ft
7.48 at 94.08 1/8th
11.70 at 117.95 1/4

New Engine:
Destroked 455+.039"=448"
1.78 60ft
7.32 at 97.81 1/8th
11.22 at 121.5 1/4
Old 04-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Karl, i like the info you have posted on fuel injection. Sounds to me that this may be a good deal. I saved the web-site to study the info on it. After talking to you on the phone a few times, (ordered the plate for setting the valves from you) i said to myself, this guy has something that i don't, a lot of brains. Designing all of this is over my head. I do have an interest in your project. I will keep in touch to check how this is all working out. I am sure you will be posting on this board as you go along. I can't afford at this time $2,500 to $4,000 for fuel injection. This project looks like something i can afford. When you get this thing singing i will buy the parts and build one. Karl keep up the good work we all appreciate it.

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Robert Williams ]</p>

Old 04-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulation Tom! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-13-2002, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

Well thanks Robert, and may I say...it was a pleasure doing business with you.

I will update as I go along...either here on the board, my website(if I ever post it), or both...

My life has become extremely hectic this spring, I have a backlog of carbs and distributors, regular work has gone nuts, companies after me to manufacture slot car parts, and I start assembling my new engine on Monday, and it has to be done, running, and tested so I can get to Tiger Run next month and kick some A&*.

New replacement chip for the data acquisition shows up Monday as well.

Kicking myself for not buying the only 4 barrel manifold I saw for a slant 6 at the swap meet last week(offered $60 and he wouldn't go lower than $65, after 3 hrs of being annoyed with myself for acting like my dad, I went back to buy it, and the guy walking really slow in front of me(to crowded to get around him)bought it!!! Oh well.

The only aluminum manifold I have is a dual 1 barrel, but I suppose I can rig something to work.

The 4 barrel manifold would have made an easy conversion to EFI. $5...can't believe I argued about $5 when I knew I wouldn't have any other options in the short term...

Karl

T350 w/10" 22-2400 stall
1.71 60ft
7.48 at 94.08 1/8th
11.70 at 117.95 1/4

New Engine:
Destroked 455+.039"=448"
1.78 60ft
7.32 at 97.81 1/8th
11.22 at 121.5 1/4
Old 04-14-2002, 02:13 PM

thanks for all the information i've ha the manifold for couple of years but never did anything with it now i am ready to start something im sure once i get into this project it will take more time and money to complete than i ever thougt will keep you informed. buy the way i only paid 20$ for the manifold the seller wasnt a car guy

Old 04-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

Congratulations, Tom V, on your anniversary.

Your 'p***ing' in the wind analogy makes sense, we've done that on a larger scale with water sprayers for wet brake testing, spraying into the wind makes for better distribution (and, I suppose in an engine, more time to 'evaporate' or whatever the correct term is???)

The fuel injection computer referenced by GTO Karl looks simple enough for the adventurous and technically inclined to make work - I'd feel comfortable trying. Then again, I'm amongst the first 'Generation X-er's', engineers who grew up on computers.

Old 04-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have any of you considered using an Edelbrock FI unit for a BBC, with all the parts placed on a converted SD/T-II/Nash, etc?? I'll bet you could get into one fairly cheap. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]