Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 09-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In South Florida, they have a chain of stores called Discount Auto. They have lifetime warranties too but one day I walk in and the 35ish guy behind the counter says Mustang? when I say I have a GTO.

Mustang GT - 2/3 as good as a GTO!

Old 09-06-2002, 06:57 PM

Yeh, I quit dealing with Advanced a couple of years ago.. When I had to put on 3 blackstone fuel pumps in a months time in my cousins 89 Iroc.
I generally go to Carter's a local parts store, or if not I go to Autozone. But, that is the truth the warranties are good, but remanufactured part's suck.. I buy all my elec. parts at Carter's and I have a charge account with them also, that don't accrue interest and send's me a Christmas card and a new calender every year. Autozone don't do that. But, I do know a couple of the guy's that work there, I used to go to school with them about 10yrs. ago.. ;) :D

Old 09-06-2002, 09:14 PM

Went to autozone once and asked for an intake gasket for a small block chev. they insisted that thay had to have the make and engine size. Told them 383 in a 32 ford, never got the gasket. Got a starter for my truck put it on in the snow, worked a week, got another one, put it on again worked 2 weeks, got the third one that lasted. Great warrenty no fun.

Old 09-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Senior Chief

In my area it's a search mission every time I need a part.I have all the local part store #'s right by the phone.There are certain parts I would buy from one store but wouldn't trust from another.At our Auto Zone,the only person I'll even talk to is a female,she's the only one there that knows what she's doing.Plus she's more pleazin' to the eye too! ;)

Old 09-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

No prob's with Autozone. They had the cast impeller water pump in stock for my 70 and the quality was excellent on the heater core. The $55 one from Ames was flimsy and a leaker! No cute counter girl though.....

Old 09-10-2002, 10:20 AM

every autozone / advance i've been in has been a joke. the overall quality sucks, the knowlege is nonexistant, and if it's not in the computer it was never made.

in my business it doesn't pay to put on cheap parts no matter what the warranty length is.

our local napa store used to be terrible about warranty repairs but it's changed hands and is better than it used to be.

my favorite parts store was a private chain that was recently bought out by carquest. the selection isn't as good as what it used to be but i've not had any quality problems yet.

summit racing is also a good source for my personal cars if i can wait a day or two on the parts. normally if i call it in by 10 am the order will be here the next day.

if you need carb parts buy them from carbking [ the carburetor shop ] his prices are reasonable and the quality is excellent. if the carb is pre '74 he's the place to shop.

my experiences, mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Senior Chief

I have to give kudos to our local Napa stores. They seem to have the parts and have had no problems with them. I can't believe that my local Kragan had a heater core for my 66' Lemans!

My other life has meaning....

"It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten"

Old 09-23-2002, 05:53 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Joe, isn't Summit close to you? Reno, Sparks? I forget.

T/A 70

Old 09-23-2002, 05:59 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I forgot about those guys for HiPo stuff. They have a nice return area as well, and if your lucky you'll find some great bargains there!

Old 09-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dont think I will ever buy a part from Autozone again. 3 weeks ago I had a problem with my van. I had the guys there scan it and they told me plugs and wires were causing the misfire. I asked about the coil pack and they told me that wasnt possible, just plugs and wires. So I spend $75 on new plugs and wires. Install them and the problem was still there. So I go at it like an older car(like I should have in the first place and not trusted the computer) and find the coil pack is bad! Spend the $70 for the coil(only guys that were open and had it on a Sunday). Problem is fixed......until the new coil went bad 2 WEEKS LATER [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Never again.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

That's the great part about the auto hobby and business and America. The options you have today give you all the best parts at the best values and the worst parts at the worst value. And you have a great opportunity to bitch about it later if you want. We've all experienced good and bad happenings at the Autozones and the NAPA's of this country and we have the choice of buying from whoever we want. The same can't be said for some other people in this world.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:36 PM
On Vacation

Is this horse beat to death yet...show mercy and let it die.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

My local NAPA store sucks! NAPA= No Auto Parts Available!

I have had the best luck with a Checker (Checker, Shucks, Kragen) in a town 35 miles away. I have a pro-shop account with them and they will deliver to me the same day! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Brakes?! We don't need no stinking brakes!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 09-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Senior Chief

I think Pep Boys has the biggest computer database. I checked AZ, Discount, NAPA, Advance and Carquest for 1LE rotors. I think AZ had it in the computer under "not available", Pep Boys had them in stock.

http://motorhead.iwarp.com
In a big operation you have to expect a few screw ups.

http://motorhead.iwarp.com
"Not gonna happen, Slim the Slender Gender Bender." The Book of Misus. Chapter 4, verse 18
Old 09-27-2002, 02:51 AM
Senior Chief

I just scored big time at Summit Racing here in Reno! I went in to get a set of lug nuts for a set of 14x6 Torque Thrust wheels I just picked up and low and behold guess whats sitting in the clearance area....a complete set of 15x7 Torque Thrust wheels that were floor demos for the lovely price of $100.00 set...not each!! I now have two sets of wheels for my car! Heck yeah! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When the Autozone computer told them Firebird did not have a 400 in 1968, I realized they were a good place to buy engine cleaner and windshield washer fluid.

Old 10-10-2002, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Retro Joe,

How would you like to make some money on those Torque Thrust 15X7's? I'll give 'ya $150.00 for 'em and I'll pay shipping [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img].
50% return on your initial investment isn't bad!
Tim

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 10-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All the chain stores around here suck. If you don't speak spanish you are screwed. I only deal with one independant shop on the other side of town. He knows what cars I have, what motors I have in them, and he dosen't charge me for cores.
No one has beat his prices either. I have been buying from him for 7 years.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Goatseeker, not to rub it in, but I just stopped by Summit to return an item and picked up a new returned Edelbrock carb for $160. It had the eletric choke on it as well, and never ran! I guess some guy bought two of em for a tunnel ram then returned them to do something else with his setup. And No, I won't sell the wheels at this point! I can't believe the deal I got on those! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]