Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-12-2003, 07:40 PM

Just got my Dougs Headers installed and when I lowered the motor back into place (I had raised it slightly to ease installation), I noticed that the drivers side motor mount didn't drop down all the way into place. After checking things out for a few minutes I noticed that one of the center header tubes was resting against the front crossmember. Anyone experienced this yet with Dougs Headers? I was willing to pay the extra money for them because I heard that they fit well. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanx for your help.

Old 04-12-2003, 07:40 PM

Just got my Dougs Headers installed and when I lowered the motor back into place (I had raised it slightly to ease installation), I noticed that the drivers side motor mount didn't drop down all the way into place. After checking things out for a few minutes I noticed that one of the center header tubes was resting against the front crossmember. Anyone experienced this yet with Dougs Headers? I was willing to pay the extra money for them because I heard that they fit well. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanx for your help.

Old 04-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had trouble getting my mounts to line up again after lifting the engine, but the headers did not touch anywhere. Maybe a bad mount?

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 04-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard of very few problems...but if there is, Doug's Headers will fix it.

Questions:
What car? Has the car ever had frame damage? Are the motor mounts old or new? Sometimes frame sag plays a role in these things. Heads...what type?

Call Paul on the direct hotline at 909-788-4878 and he'll work to get things right for you.

Dave "Big Injun" Anderson
www.pontiacdragdays.com
www.geetotiger.com

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like Dave said, I have heard of a few problems from time to time but the problems were due to accidents the car had been in or frame spread.

Call Paul at Doug's Headers.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 04-12-2003, 08:11 PM

Guys, it's a 70' GTO and no frame damage (that I'm aware of). Motor mounts are new and same ones I used with my old no name 3-tube headers. Did not have this problem with old headers. I'm tired and frustrated and I'm now going to bed. Will wake up in the morning with renewed enthusiasm and a fresh perspective.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:14 PM

I just took some digital photos of the drivers side header where it contacts the frame and I will try to post them on this forum tomorrow. It is easier to show where the interference is than to explain it. I will call Paul tomorrow as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No ****, I just finished my Doug's header installation this afternoon!
By far the easiest header install I've ever done or helped do! The driver's side damn near fell in place (from underneath).
The passenger side required seperating the mounts & lifting the engine, but was easy. Only issue was that the passenger outlet collector flange hit the floorpan. Had to "massage" the pan w/ a 3lb hammer to accomodate, about 3/8".
Two thumbs up for Doug & Paul!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:56 PM

Larry, no problems with floorpan clearance- I have plenty. Just can't understand why I seem to be the only one with frame contact though. I'm using factory type replacement motor mounts and nothing else has been modified. Where the 2 center tubes come off of the head and curve back is where they are contacting the rear of the front cross member. I am still in the process of trying to post pictures. They also contact the rear lower control arm mounting bracket. Go figure.

Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM

Guys, may be on to something. When you installed your headers did you lower the motor back down before bolting them up? I bolted my headers on with the motor elevated about 2". Someone suggested that this may be causing the headers to bind as I lowered them back into place. One other thing-it appears that the motor mount on the passenger side sits flush against the crossmember whereas the drivers side sits about 1/2"-3/4" above the crossmember. Which position is correct? In other words where the bolt goes through the frame mount it is positioned at the bottom of the slot in the passenger side and it sits at the top of the slot on the drivers side. Should the mount on the drivers side slide down all the way over the frame mount until it contacts the crossmember?

Old 04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, and yes. The engine should be down before tightening the headers, and the engine mount should go over the top of the frame mount and be very close to the frame. If you can get the bolt through both pieces, then you have it in the right way.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO70. I know you are not having a good time right now. The little piddly ass problems make life.... well suck some days. I've had my Doug's Headers for over a year now and like them more and more every time I fire the engine. When this is all said and done you will enjoy them as well.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 04-15-2003, 01:40 PM

Ron, thanx for the pep talk. Yeah, I hope that it is all worthwhile too. I think with a little therapy that I can make a full recovery from this experience. OMT. I can get the bolt through on both sides, but it is towards the top of the loop on the drivers side. Funny, never noticed a little thing like that before. Is this correct? I mean if I can get the bolt to go through the bottom part of the mount (anywhere) then it is OK. Thanx.

Old 04-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that is normal.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:56 PM

Thanx, I'll post again in the next couple of days to let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO70, It's not just headers, it all of the little crap...all wrapped into one bug pain. You get advice, you make the purcahse and when you go to install it.......BANG...It does not fit, or the color is not quite right, too big., not square, too round, too much back spacing, bolt is the wrong size and the list goes on and on. I did this for years and years...putting my '65 GTO back together after a frame off restification. This many years down the road I have forgotten almost all of the BIG pains but a few still remain......untill I fire the engine, pull it out of the garage.......and go cruising. Life is good, LIFE IS GREAT!!! I would get discouraged and then see a great car that is all put together like OMT's '64 GTO or Barry Troups '65 GTO and a lots of other great cars. After that I would get hot to work on the car again and....after 20-30 years (just kidding) I was off and driving it!!

One particular point of discussion. When having problems, and calling the manufacturer or your friends that recommended this particular part or service and you are having problems. Don't you just love the reply they tell you...."You know, you are the ONLY PERSON that has this problem. NEVER seen this before" Couldn't you just SCREAM or wring their necks!!!

Enjoy Sir, Enjoy!!!!!!

Ron

Old 04-15-2003, 05:57 PM

Yeah Ron, I can definitely relate to that. You must have the same friends that I do. My next door neighbor is a big Chevy guy, and every time I run into a little problem, the first words out of his mouth are: "You should have bought a Chevy". I'd rather push my 'non-header fittin' GTO down the track than drive a Chevy. As a matter of fact... I think I could push mine and still beat his Chevy.

Anyway, I tried installing the headers again, (this time lowering the motor before tightening the header bolts) and It seems that I now have roughly 1/16" clearance in the previously mentioned areas. Better, but not enough. I'm really starting to suspect those motor mounts-even though they are only 3 yrs. old. They are El-cheapo Korean units that I purchased from a restoration co. (Not PY-I dont' think.) What kind of motor mounts is everyone else using? Anyone using the polyurethane mounts$$$. Thanx. Keep the advice coming. I'm gettin' there.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I remember correctly, I purchased a set from the local NAPA store or from PY. I can't remember for sure.

Ron

The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2003, 05:28 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on my Dougs Headers install. I tried a new set of motor mounts (look the same as the ones that are already on the car) and still do not have adequate clearance in several places. So, I contacted Paul, and after a brief discussion I decided to return them. They will check them against there jig to see if something moved or if I just have an odd ball car. I'll post again when I get them back.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that's what I call customer service. Good luck.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.