Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been visiting these boards and learning a lot from all of you folks for about the last two years and I thought I’d give a little intro and background. Two years ago I bought my first car that even had a V8 and what I bought was a numbers matching 1970 GTO Judge with a RAIII, 4-speed, power disk brakes. Helluva first V8 car if I do say so myself. As a little kid growing up in Northern Calif, I found myself tagging along with my buddies' to watch their older brothers and their friends street race in an area of San Francisco called brotherhood way and another place called the great highway. At that time nobody I knew had a Pontiac but what I did learn was this…if a GTO was involved in the race, the other guy was toast. I later had friends with some very fast pontiacs, T/A's, formula birds, etc. I also used to see an orbit orange judge all the time while waiting for the bus to go to school, I'll never forget that wing and wild judge motif on the trunk.

These memories never left me. The time came to finally get a very cool car and I decided to get a GTO. I test drove a few GTOs, decided I wanted a Judge! I finally found my Judge in Ellensburg, WA via an ad in Hemmings. After two visits, a PHS check and the help of a GM master mechanic determined that the Palladium Silver Judge with red interior was indeed a solid car and the real deal. It had been restored pretty well and was a solid, unmolested poncho that ran well, motor never rebuilt but refreshed enough to run well and give me quite the woody.

After about 4 months, I decided that I wanted to race but was afraid of breaking original parts, enter Dave Bisschop of SD Performance. I asked Dave to build me a 9.5-1 pump gas 468 stroker using a ’68 400 block with iron heads (6x, flowing 270 cfm plus) and all the other right goodies. The motor had 11 passes on the dyno and came in with 501 hp and 554 lb/ft of torque. I added a fresh M-22 built by a guy named Bill Ericson in Seattle (Italian gearset), a new 3:55 narrowed 12-bolt built by a NW guy named Bill Scribner here in the seattle area along with 4-wheel disc brakes http://www.scribnerweldinganddistrib...es/4/index.htm. I added Ken Crocie’s suspension pieces (strongarm suspension) which lowered the car about 1.5 inches and new upper and lower boxed control arms and adjustable uppers. Cooling it is a Rodney red and induction is via a HSD intake ported by SD topped with a 950 hp holley.

I never drag raced before and on my first day running at the NW BOPS, with 16 inch Comp T/As (not DR’s), the car ran 12.40’s. I had a blast lining up next to a pretty
Wicked sounding Olds with racing slicks, he got spanked !!

Thanks for all the great posts and info guys, Needless to say, I'm hooked on Pontiacs, nothing else will do when it comes to fun and performance. Here's a pic of me about to stage at Pacific Raceways, formerly Seattle Intl Raceway in Kent, WA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JudgeBeatsOldsjpg.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5413  

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been visiting these boards and learning a lot from all of you folks for about the last two years and I thought I’d give a little intro and background. Two years ago I bought my first car that even had a V8 and what I bought was a numbers matching 1970 GTO Judge with a RAIII, 4-speed, power disk brakes. Helluva first V8 car if I do say so myself. As a little kid growing up in Northern Calif, I found myself tagging along with my buddies' to watch their older brothers and their friends street race in an area of San Francisco called brotherhood way and another place called the great highway. At that time nobody I knew had a Pontiac but what I did learn was this…if a GTO was involved in the race, the other guy was toast. I later had friends with some very fast pontiacs, T/A's, formula birds, etc. I also used to see an orbit orange judge all the time while waiting for the bus to go to school, I'll never forget that wing and wild judge motif on the trunk.

These memories never left me. The time came to finally get a very cool car and I decided to get a GTO. I test drove a few GTOs, decided I wanted a Judge! I finally found my Judge in Ellensburg, WA via an ad in Hemmings. After two visits, a PHS check and the help of a GM master mechanic determined that the Palladium Silver Judge with red interior was indeed a solid car and the real deal. It had been restored pretty well and was a solid, unmolested poncho that ran well, motor never rebuilt but refreshed enough to run well and give me quite the woody.

After about 4 months, I decided that I wanted to race but was afraid of breaking original parts, enter Dave Bisschop of SD Performance. I asked Dave to build me a 9.5-1 pump gas 468 stroker using a ’68 400 block with iron heads (6x, flowing 270 cfm plus) and all the other right goodies. The motor had 11 passes on the dyno and came in with 501 hp and 554 lb/ft of torque. I added a fresh M-22 built by a guy named Bill Ericson in Seattle (Italian gearset), a new 3:55 narrowed 12-bolt built by a NW guy named Bill Scribner here in the seattle area along with 4-wheel disc brakes http://www.scribnerweldinganddistrib...es/4/index.htm. I added Ken Crocie’s suspension pieces (strongarm suspension) which lowered the car about 1.5 inches and new upper and lower boxed control arms and adjustable uppers. Cooling it is a Rodney red and induction is via a HSD intake ported by SD topped with a 950 hp holley.

I never drag raced before and on my first day running at the NW BOPS, with 16 inch Comp T/As (not DR’s), the car ran 12.40’s. I had a blast lining up next to a pretty
Wicked sounding Olds with racing slicks, he got spanked !!

Thanks for all the great posts and info guys, Needless to say, I'm hooked on Pontiacs, nothing else will do when it comes to fun and performance. Here's a pic of me about to stage at Pacific Raceways, formerly Seattle Intl Raceway in Kent, WA