Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

Looking at the 200R4 trannys. A question that I'm asked is, How much horsepower and torque the motor has. I have stock heads with a summit 2801 cam.

I know I should not have that much, and I don't know if you guys will be able to tell me. It's a frame off resto. So putting it on a dyno is not a option.

I looked at the Bowtie site and It has 3 different levels. I would think I would got with the level 2 or 3. With a level 3, if I then upgrade the engine I will still have the tranny with the level 3.

Do I need that though?

What do you guys think? Is Bowtie ant good of a shop.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

Looking at the 200R4 trannys. A question that I'm asked is, How much horsepower and torque the motor has. I have stock heads with a summit 2801 cam.

I know I should not have that much, and I don't know if you guys will be able to tell me. It's a frame off resto. So putting it on a dyno is not a option.

I looked at the Bowtie site and It has 3 different levels. I would think I would got with the level 2 or 3. With a level 3, if I then upgrade the engine I will still have the tranny with the level 3.

Do I need that though?

What do you guys think? Is Bowtie ant good of a shop.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 03-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel better too strong than not strong enough.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Hi 66GTO, I agree to some extent with Bob W48 about getting a strong unit. The only drawback may be extra firm shifts that could get annoying after a while, depending on what you like. Since the Level 3 would be set up for higher HP and torque than your engine (although you didn't say what engine you currently have), the line presssure and shift pressure will be set more aggressively throughout the throttle range. Again, this "neck snapping" shift may or may not be an issue with you, but it is something to consider.

I'm looking into 200-4R's for my 70 convertible, so let me know what you decide and who to go with. I had started a couple of 200-4R threads earlier that has some feedback from others forum users on 200-4R suppliers that you may find interesting. Good luck!

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...401#4431023401

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...401#8831023401

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969
Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,

I definately don't want neck snapping shifts. I have a 78 TA with a TH400 w/ a shift kit. I'd be happy with those type of shifts. They weren't neck snapping but stiff and firm.

That was a great car.

I will keep you up to date. I posted a quote from Bowtie in an other section. I'll post it here also and you might want to get a look at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QUOTE_FROM_BOWTIE.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	22522