The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Chief

I need to remove some yellow sand stains from the light gray carpeting in my new truck. Any ideas?

How do you guys in the South get out those red dirt stains?

Let go of pain, give faith the reins; and let that pony run.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Chief

I need to remove some yellow sand stains from the light gray carpeting in my new truck. Any ideas?

How do you guys in the South get out those red dirt stains?

Let go of pain, give faith the reins; and let that pony run.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't relate to sand stains but the I've found that Castrol Super Clean (the purple stuff) and Greased Lightning (found at Wal-Mart and most supermarkets) work well on red clay stains. It's strong but contains no bleach the last time I checked.
If you use it though, defintely test it on a small inconspicuo...inconspicuou.....incon...uh,
a spot you can't see too well first before spraying it all over. It generally needs to be diluted a bit with water too..

Old 03-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

sand stains ?!? up north, we use salt on our roads in the winter. and it makes grey carpet 'yellow' - plus eats the metal on our cars. the only way to correct this is to redye the carpet. I wish we just had 'sandstains' to deal with.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Amy , Try good ol Windex. Usually work great for me.
Don Aka gtoguy1967

Old 03-16-2005, 05:23 AM

What works good for me is a bucket of water, whatever cleaner you want to use, and a good scrub brush.
Once you finish scrubbing it is a good idea to use a wet vac to get as much of the moisture back out of the carpet as you can. Works like one of the carpet extraction cleaners.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best thing I've used on carpet stains is Tuff Stuff cleaner. It comes in a red and yellow aerosol can. Let soak for a couple of minutes, then hit it with a soft bristle brush.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM

I have had good luck with blue coral dry clean. Sold at my local ACE hdw.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Amy,

The best solution to removing stains and dirt from capret is amonia and water. The amonia will clean out your head and the carpet. My mother always used this to clean her carpets. As I got older and had my buddies over she taught me how she cleaned the carpet and gave the job to me.

Just take hot water and amonia in a bucket and use an old dish rag. You don't want the rag dripping wet, ring it out good so that it is just damp enough to work the dirt and stain loose from the carpet. Too much amonia in the water will lighten the color of the carpet so read the directions on the bottle of amonia. I just go by feel and smell. If it is strong enough to make your eyes fall out, it is too strong.

Good luck

Jim

Old 03-19-2005, 05:48 AM

Living in L.A. (Lower Alabama) on a red clay road, the best thing I can find is Woolite Heavy Traffic aerosol carpet cleaner. Foams it out, but use a soft brush on stains. This stuff makes carpet look like new, and I have even used it to clean cloth upholstery safely, even smells good. It's cheap (2-3 bucks a can) and available almost anywhere...