Old 05-04-2000, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm getting ready to put my engine back in. I'm looking for opinions on coolant, additives, etc. Anyone using Evans NPG, Dexcool, etc. Pro's and Con's?

Old 05-04-2000, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm getting ready to put my engine back in. I'm looking for opinions on coolant, additives, etc. Anyone using Evans NPG, Dexcool, etc. Pro's and Con's?

Old 05-12-2000, 08:07 AM

Try 10 percent antifreeze to 90 percent water and then add redlines water wetter.Works on my High comp street car!

Old 05-12-2000, 06:02 PM

Im running straight water for the summer/fall, and added a bottle of water pump lube. Certainly seems to work well for me: 175 or so on the highway, drops to about 165 in around town driving. This is on a '78 T/A, with the only non-stock part being a 7 blade flex fan, with no clutch.

Old 05-12-2000, 07:17 PM

From my experience, I have found a heavy-duty,low silicate antifreeze to work the best. 40% Antifreeze,60% Distilled water. I use this ratio for the colder mountian climate I live in (subzero-mid 90's). The use of the distilled water and low silicate antifreeze really cuts down on the deposits and or corrosion. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2000, 09:01 PM

For a few more bucks, I personally prefer the low-tox prop.-glycol stuff, especially if there are pets and/or young kids around. The Sierra Club endorses it, but I like it anyway.

[This message has been edited by Judge Smails (edited 05-28-2000).]

Old 05-28-2000, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont forget a good oil cooler like the Earls stacked plate piece. By cooling the oil directly, you can pull a lot of heat from the motor before the water ever sees it.

Old 07-11-2000, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anti freeze was invented to prevent the water in your block from freezing and cracking your block or heads in very cold weather climates. Later on for marketing purposes they started calling it coolant. This is a marketing tool only as there is nothing in "coolant" that helps your engine run cooler. As we all know water boiles at 212 degrees at sea level. There is an ingrediant in "coolant" that will raise the boiling point about 10 or 12 degrees with a 50/50 mixture. This can prevent a boil over if your water temp gets over 212 degrees. Fact is if your water temp gets that hot then you have another problem anyhow. There is a third reason to use anti freeze or coolant and that is corrosion resistance, and since I live in Arizona that is the only reason that I use it. I have had good results using Red Line Water wetter for improving heat transfer in a cooling system but I have not tried other brands of this type of product. And one more thing about "coolant" if you use Water Wetter to help with heat transfer they recommend for it to be effective that you use plain water or only a small amount of coolant. Hmmmmmm what does that say about your coolant? I also use distilled water in my cooling system to prevent mineral deposits from clogging things up.

Tim Corcoran

Old 08-06-2000, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I also use plain water with two bottles of water wetter added. I live in Illinois so in the winter I don't drive the goat anyway and just drain the block and radiator as part of the winter storage ritiual. I have found plain water w/ wetter to cool better than last year's 30% anti-freeze/70% water mix. Red Line Water Wetter also has anti-corrosion protection and water pump lube built it. For those who operate their cars in warm weather only, I recommend this.