Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm playing with the idea of putting a manual steering box in my '74TA but if I can reduce the boost on this box I will use it. Can this be done?

Thanks,

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 05-02-2005, 12:50 PM

what motor do you have sitting between those front tires?

and how much do you bench?!

Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Chief

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html

this page deals with increasing the pressure. maybe it can give you an idea on how to decrease it.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Changing the pressure is not the way to go about it. If you want to change the feel of the box to make it less twitchy, the correct way is to replace the "spool valve" in the steering box with one from a mid-'80s TA or something like it. I don't have much experience with those, but once test-drove an '87 that really impressed me by how much it felt like rack and pinion.
Of course, changing the spool valve requires complete disassembly of the entire box, so you may as well go all the way and get a quick-ratio rebuild...

Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rhetor:
what motor do you have sitting between those front tires?

and how much do you bench?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! 462cid. I don’t think you understand. My first car was a ’64 Chevy ¾ ton PU with a balls to the walls 283, manual steering, manual tranny, 60 series poly belted tires, and manual brakes. Half of the cars I’ve owned didn’t have power steering. I actually like manual steering and I’m looking for something closer to that feel from my TA. I think the steering ratio is fine but it’s a bit over boosted for my taste.

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shadowjack:
Changing the pressure is not the way to go about it. If you want to change the feel of the box to make it less twitchy, the correct way is to replace the "spool valve" in the steering box with one from a mid-'80s TA or something like it. I don't have much experience with those, but once test-drove an '87 that really impressed me by how much it felt like rack and pinion.
Of course, changing the spool valve requires complete disassembly of the entire box, so you may as well go all the way and get a quick-ratio rebuild... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true. I'll just have to see what's out there for aftermarket stuff.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Lee Power Steering in Sunland, Ca. Their phone number is listed elsewhere on this board. they can set yours up with about as much road feel as a manual box. They do boxes and pumps for Nascar, but their prices are still reasonable.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elefantrider:
Call Lee Power Steering in Sunland, Ca. Their phone number is listed elsewhere on this board. they can set yours up with about as much road feel as a manual box. They do boxes and pumps for Nascar, but their prices are still reasonable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS elefantrider!

P.S. Found it! FYI for everyone that might want to know,

11661 Pendleton St, Sun Valley, 91352 - (818) 768-0371

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 05-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about putting on a smaller diameter pulley to reduce flow, not pressure.
I've also seen p/s boxes with lines removed and holes filled with fittings , so you could just use the gearbox you have already.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 05-13-2005, 06:21 AM

S-10 Manual Box bolts right in, Plus alot lighter.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know this site is great! Thanks for all the input. I have several options it looks like.

There is something I didn't take into consideration and that is that I will be putting much wider tires on there than I have now so that will help some I'm sure. I'll have to hold my judgement until I get them on I think.

Thanks guys,

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 05-13-2005, 06:43 PM

I have a Lee 12.7:1 high-effort box in my '64 Tempest. From what I understand there is a heavier torsion bar inside the box that gives it that 'high-effort' feel, it takes more movement of the wheel before the power assist kicks in.

I had my box done up by Lee about 15 years ago. I had them replace the internals on a standard '64 power box with the 12.7:1 stuff, plus my pump impeller was fragged so they supplied a pump core. The bill was almost $600.

Steers bitchin' though, the box was worth every penny.