Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM

Ive got a question about A-bodies in General that I hope someone can answer. My goats got a big block chevy and so far Ive been using mostly chevelle chassis parts for the front end (I live close to National parts Depot). So far, everything has been the same. But now I face a horrible dilemma. Headers. 64-65 Big Block chevelle headers dont look like they will fit and I dont understand why. Ive got original GM z/16 motor mounts, but the steering shaft looks awful close to the drivers side cylinder head. Anyone ever seen this swap before or got any ideas? I think Im gonna buy a set of cheap headers, cut out the parts that wont fit then build new tubes around the places that interfer. Unless someones got a better idea.

Dale

I know, I know. I should have used a 455. Trust me, I know.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM

Ive got a question about A-bodies in General that I hope someone can answer. My goats got a big block chevy and so far Ive been using mostly chevelle chassis parts for the front end (I live close to National parts Depot). So far, everything has been the same. But now I face a horrible dilemma. Headers. 64-65 Big Block chevelle headers dont look like they will fit and I dont understand why. Ive got original GM z/16 motor mounts, but the steering shaft looks awful close to the drivers side cylinder head. Anyone ever seen this swap before or got any ideas? I think Im gonna buy a set of cheap headers, cut out the parts that wont fit then build new tubes around the places that interfer. Unless someones got a better idea.

Dale

Old 01-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Hindsight is 20-20!

My Rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 01-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go to:

http://www.chevelles.com

Do a search for header fitment for 65 Chevelles. There should be plenty of info there. I think the Headman headers have gotten good reviews in terms of fitment,but I have no first hand experience. I have Hooker headers on my 70 GTO with a BB engine. I had to move the steering shaft just a little bit to make it fit. It was not a big deal.

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 01-28-2003, 04:54 PM

Hi...someone I knew awhile ago had a 67 chevelle ss396 and the headers wrapped around the steering shaft...I have a 67 goat with an olds 425 in it(bought that way)I ordered olds 442 headers to replace the headers in it; and I still had to have a pipe modified...but as for the frame and suspention I believe that chevelle,442,lemans,tempest and gto are the same as long as the year matches.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:19 PM

I just bought a set of Hooker Headers for a BB 65 Chevelle. They look like they will probably fit, but the motor is on the stand for a few more days while the car's roll cage gets finished up. Im really dreading the thought of having to cut up my headers and rebuild them.

Dale

Old 03-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They should fit. Your frame is no different then a Chevelle frame. As long as you have the right frame stands, you will have no problems.

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 03-27-2003, 08:44 PM

Hedman headers seem to work well. I also have heard that the Hooker Supercomps also work well but the other series that Hooker carries do not fit. The engine mount blocks for a small block and a big block will both work. It is an old wives tale that you have to have the BB frame mounts. They are different and the BB ones are probably stonger but they are not higher or fit any different. You will get lots of opinions but I have had both on and there is no measurable difference.