Old 06-22-2001, 04:49 PM

Anyone have some feedback on the Rodney Red radiators? They seem to be a couple hundred $ cheaper than the Griffen or Be Cool and they say they use the same cores as the other guys. What is your experience.

Thanks,

Robert
66 GTO

Old 06-22-2001, 04:49 PM

Anyone have some feedback on the Rodney Red radiators? They seem to be a couple hundred $ cheaper than the Griffen or Be Cool and they say they use the same cores as the other guys. What is your experience.

Thanks,

Robert
66 GTO

Old 06-22-2001, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

Never heard of them!?!?!? Where did you see them and how did you get the price? I might be in the market for one myself and would love to save some money if they are decent!!! Thanks for the info in advance, let me know what you find out if you get one!!!

Old 06-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just so you know, Griffin makes their own cores and they don't sell their cores to anyone else. They have a very efficient design and are the only ones who offer one inch tubes in their cores.

Tim

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120

Old 06-23-2001, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim, do you mean 1.25" tubes? Thats what I have in my '64 GTO. I have a 26"x19" universal with a two row 1.25" tube core. Nice, and inexpensive. Does a great job.

Old 06-25-2001, 02:26 PM

I heard about Rodney Red from a couple of posts on another bulletin board. When I called them they told me that they get their cores from one of the only two aluminum core manufactures in the US. They said that their cores were top quality, but did not say that they were getting them from Griffin. They did mention that their radiators are direct bolt up designs and if I ordered one for my 66 GTO, I would not have to modify to bolt it up as I might have to do on a universal unit. As for the quality, they said they have a money back guarantee if I was not satisfied. I don't know if this really means anything, but at least it sounds good. I asked them why I have only heard from them by word of mouth, and they said that they have been making aluminum radiators in the drag racing circuit for a number of years, but only recently started to market them for the classic car industry. They said they would have an advertisement in the next Pontiac Enthusiast Magazine. Their phone number is 1-877-962-7733 (toll free) and their web page is www.rodneyred.com. The web page is just that...a page with contact information. The links do not work, but they said that they are creating a new site and should be up in a month or two. I cannot vouch for what their quality, but if they are using the 1" tubes and getting quality cores, then $125.00 cheaper is attractive to me. Let me know if anyone else has had any experience with them.

Robert
66 GTO

Old 06-25-2001, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry Wirth the owner of Rodney Red has been buidling aluminum radiators since 1997. He used to build all of AFCO's radiators until they contracted out to a cheaper source in MS.

Rodney Red radiators are fully-welded units. Some of the other manufacturers epoxy the tanks onto the cores. They make both cross flow and vertical flow radiators for our Pontaics.

They also make some great underdrive pulleys.

I just bolted a Rodney Red radiator into our Pontiac Enthusiast project car and it fits wonderfully.

They are not just another manufacturer, they are Pontiac guys.

------------------
Dave "Big Injun" Anderson
www.PontiacDragDays.com
www.PontiacEnthusiast.com

[This message has been edited by Big Injun (edited 06-25-2001).]

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:09 PM

Big Injun,

Good to hear that other people have experience with them. They did mention that they are all Pontiac owners and they have all the databases for the Pontiac cars, so they could supply a bolt up unit that would fit. Jerry told me that they make to order so generally they are 3 to 4 weeks delivery. I don't have a life or death need to have it today (really I am not a real patient person) so I can wait the time.

Can you tell me the benefits of the fully welded unit over the epoxy one? Does the epoxy tend to lose it's strenght over time or what?

Thanks,

Robert
66 GTO

Old 06-25-2001, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fully-welded units are better. Over time the epoxy can fail and you will blow your tanks off.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.