Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-18-2000, 12:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

just picked up a '68 12 bolt chevy rearend real cheap. totally rebuilt with new gears, bearings, axles, clutches, backing plates and all new brake parts. are there any problems with installing this in my '67 gto. i know in '67 the wheel base on these cars was 115", and in '68 it went to 112". this shouldn't be a problem. but are there any other changes that were made on this rear end that could prevent me from slipping this right under my car.
i also got a price on my stock rear to have rebuilt. the cones in the rear would have to go and an auburn posi-unit installed. would i be better off selling the chevy off and putting the money in the factory differential.

Old 08-18-2000, 12:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

just picked up a '68 12 bolt chevy rearend real cheap. totally rebuilt with new gears, bearings, axles, clutches, backing plates and all new brake parts. are there any problems with installing this in my '67 gto. i know in '67 the wheel base on these cars was 115", and in '68 it went to 112". this shouldn't be a problem. but are there any other changes that were made on this rear end that could prevent me from slipping this right under my car.
i also got a price on my stock rear to have rebuilt. the cones in the rear would have to go and an auburn posi-unit installed. would i be better off selling the chevy off and putting the money in the factory differential.

Old 08-18-2000, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 68 rear end will bolt right into your 67. The only problem you might run into is the spring mounting pad on the rear end, sometime in 67 they changed the style of mounting pad. I am not shure but I think your rear springs should work with either style pads.

Old 08-18-2000, 09:29 PM

Location: originally Odessa, TX. Currently stationed in Tampa, FL

I've made the same swap, well almost. I put a '67 Chevy 12 bolt into a '68 Lemans. It is a direct bolt in except for the pinion flange (that part that the driveshaft's rear u-joint bolts to). The Chevy uses 1310 series u-joint which is much smaller than what came on the Pontiacs. For stock or slightly modified engines you could get a conversion u-joint (I've heard they sell them at NAPA). I didn't think that small conversion u-joint would stand up to my 455 with E-heads and since I had to have a new driveshaft built, I've ordered a 1350 series pinion flange from Mark Williams Enterprises. This way I have 1350 series u-joints at both ends and a forged pinion flange. I runs $165 but I consider it cheap insurance. I should have it all together next week if you would like to know how it turned out. Hope this helps,

Matt Sides
68 Lemans
455,E-heads,TH400
12 bolt w/4.10