but has anyone tried Nitrous
Works or Nitrous Express?
Additionally, what kind of
levels are you set on, and how
is the bottom end reliability?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2000, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bottom end reliability depends on how much Nitrous you use, what you have for a bottom end. Also depends on what your already making for hp, if your already making 350-400 hp" a 150 hp kit is pretty safe, on almost stock conditions, using a good steel rod, and forged pistons. High hp kits 300-400 hp you'll need steel caps, studded mains, even with those added" things start moving
around.Cranks brake, blocks brake, I'd keep your total hp out put to 750-800 hp, especially if your using a cast crank. With a steel crank you could probably go to 900 hp. Pontiac Dude has had allot of experence running nitrous, and could probably fill in the blanks allot better. He has a Firebird that weighs 3560 lbs, and runs 9.40's with Edlebrock heads, on street tires, pump gas" a real kick kick @ss Car.

Old 01-31-2000, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my street car I run a nitrous boost of about 150-165 hp. It is a hybrid system that was first built by Marvin Miller, then I upgraded to NOS solenoids. The engine is a 428 in a '64 GTO. Total hp is 635. It has '73 SD rods, TRW forged pistons and the stock cast crank. It has been running since 1981 with no problems.

------------------
Jim

Old 02-01-2000, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This could turn into a long statement. With NOS you don't need stroke,work on bigger bore as your making HP so you need bore space to fill the hole. You ad more spray for compression compaction. I've seen alot a blocks crack up thru the main area to the cam journal when using the longer stroke as the block is weak in this area. I run a 428 crank in a 455 .030 block ending up with 440 cu.in. tried 455 and the extra torque just made the car harder to work and tore sh***** stuff up when I started to go to levels above 250hp. Cam profile isn't as critical in a Pontiac as they like wider lobe seperation anyway so it's almost a made deal. I've sprayed 175hp forever with no problems Higher levels need more components. I have run Billet caps filled blocks & all kinds of support sh****t, stuff & the problem as I have stated a 100 times before is the webbing area under the cylinder & around the mains. The IA block adresses this problem. Back to the main problem 150 hp isn't a problem JUST FOLLOW THE NOS RULES, get the NOS catalog, in the back has a real good Q & A section that will answer your questions. Currently I run 428cu.in/Aluminum rods/Billet caps/Cast(N)crank/Roller cam/SRP pistons(coated)/F.M.brgs(coated)/E-Heads(89cc's)(9.5-1)/Victor Jr/2 stage(plates-crossed)N.O.S. system/10"3500 conv/4:10 w/30 tall BFG radial/3500lbs. Leaving on motor (1.52 60') and spraying 275 60/70 ft out barely shaking the tire, the adding another 100 in high gear. the car ran 9.46@144 out the back door at 7600 rpm. I think if I hit 125hp in 2nd & a 3.90 gear the car will run 9 teens to 20,s in the heat of day as that was at 12 noon on a warm Fla day. Fuel & timing is VERY critical. I tried leaving on 100 hp, but shook the tires so hard MY hairpiece flew off,false teeth came out, & my contacts went up in the back of my head. Couldn't see for a week. I know this is off the beatin track, but my latest project is a ATI ProCharger ( 10-12 lbs of boost) blowing thru a carb,100hp NOS liquid intercooler, 400 block w/a hydraulic cam (Crane 243/254@.050), 8.5-1 comp/ stock rods/197 HO heads. If this combo will run low 10's then it's a 428 shortblock with good stuff & 18-22 lbs of boost. My goal is in the 9's & totally streetable. I have run 10.11@135 with the Roller 428 but this combo was a FRi-night only deal. Oh well, gotta go. I quess I got the Gach wandering on syndrome. Later dude