Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-11-2002, 12:06 PM

I have a pontiac catalina 1964 original 389 motor. I took off the valve cover to look at the rockers and change gasket. turned engine on and noticed oil comming out of every rocker except 1. left it running for 10 minutes and only a little oil build up in the rocker. it was not dripping oil like the others. The rockers are original stamped steel. I removed the push rod to see if something was stuck inside but was clear. installed it and still the same. What could be the problem car runs good the rocker moves , its the first one on the driver side. I notice that before but thought nothing of it. I notice that about 8 months ago but did not think nothing about it. what could be the problem thank U MIGUEL

Old 04-11-2002, 12:06 PM

I have a pontiac catalina 1964 original 389 motor. I took off the valve cover to look at the rockers and change gasket. turned engine on and noticed oil comming out of every rocker except 1. left it running for 10 minutes and only a little oil build up in the rocker. it was not dripping oil like the others. The rockers are original stamped steel. I removed the push rod to see if something was stuck inside but was clear. installed it and still the same. What could be the problem car runs good the rocker moves , its the first one on the driver side. I notice that before but thought nothing of it. I notice that about 8 months ago but did not think nothing about it. what could be the problem thank U MIGUEL

Old 04-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Could be a bad lifter or flat lobe on the cam .

Old 04-17-2002, 12:05 PM

any advise would help me its dry in here thank miguel

Old 04-17-2002, 06:20 PM

Is there a miss in the motor?If not I would think the cam is fine.I had the samething on my 455 and it was because my roller rocker were out of adjustment.

Old 04-17-2002, 11:27 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Actually if the motor is stock and not rebuilt it should have through the rocker stud oiling! Unless it has the HO heads it will have rockers without the pushrod oiling. Your having the Oiling through the pushrods and the Studs may be limiting what is getting where. the Big question is was the engine rebuilt a while back and do all the rockers have the oil holes? Is oil comming out of the stud holes?

Old 04-18-2002, 05:56 AM

I was talking to a friend about this and he said he had the same problem and he used a can of mircle oil in his engine and it clean alot of crap out from inside his engine.just my pennys worth.(change your oil after you do that)