Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

CAN SOMEONE HERE TELL ME HOW TO FIGURE OUT THE COMPRESSION RATIO WITH MATH AND NOT ELECTRONICS??THANKS ALOT

Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

CAN SOMEONE HERE TELL ME HOW TO FIGURE OUT THE COMPRESSION RATIO WITH MATH AND NOT ELECTRONICS??THANKS ALOT

Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Yes, but I will let others go first! Tom.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure I totally understand your question. I will send you a spreadsheet to calculate compression ratios. Basically you have to know the volumes of the cylinders and heads. The compression ratio is calculated by first computing the total swept volume. That is the bore times the stroke times Pi (3.1416) divided by 4, plus the volume taken up by the valve reliefs in the piston, the deck height and the head gasket. It is easiest to then convert this to cc's (multiply by 16.387). Divide this total by the sum of the volumes of the combustion chamber, the head gasket, the valve reliefs in the piston and the deck height. The result is the static compression ratio. I hope I remembered it all correctly. The spreadsheet I am sending is definitely correct.

Old 03-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check Hot Rod Magazine March 2002. Has an artical on How to Calculate Compression. It tells all you want to know.