Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-21-2003, 10:25 AM

I have some used E/T Drags that still have a few runs left in them. One tire does not hold air. I've never dealt with tubes before, should I use light truck or racing tubes? Size is 26 x 8.5-14. Going on a low 13 high 12 sec. Tempest with steel 14x7 rims. If tubes are used, do the tires have screwed to the rims?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:25 AM

I have some used E/T Drags that still have a few runs left in them. One tire does not hold air. I've never dealt with tubes before, should I use light truck or racing tubes? Size is 26 x 8.5-14. Going on a low 13 high 12 sec. Tempest with steel 14x7 rims. If tubes are used, do the tires have screwed to the rims?

Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 AM
On Vacation

No tubes. Don't need them.

Either find the leak, or use dish washing liquid on the bead next time. Rim screws are always a good idea.

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 AM

Bad news for me. Leaks found in sidewalls. Pinnholes all around. No visible dry rot, possible belt problem? That's what I get for used tires!

Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
On Vacation

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes used tires are a good deal if you need them to store or mock up a car. Or for chassis dyno work.

But, unfortunately, they're usually not good for racing use for one reason or another.

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 05-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those will not be a problem to run with tubes. If they are the older design (before 2003) then they have a softer sidewall. M/T actually recommends running those with tubes. I ran my E/T-Drag 28-10.5x15's with tubes all the time. Personally I would run race tubes, and definitely screw the tires to the rim.

I was recently forced to run tubes in my 29x11 Goodyear's. I saw no measurable performance difference.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html