Old 03-31-2002, 01:08 AM

Just picked up a 67 Lemans convertible.. I was told it had a mild cam in it. Had lots of paperwork with past history on work done on it. I replaced the carb because the other one was junk and tired. Doesn't sound like or feel like a mild cam in it at all, just needed a tune up real bad. My question is what is the timing suppose to be? Is it the same as the book settings if it has a cam?
Thanks

Old 03-31-2002, 01:08 AM

Just picked up a 67 Lemans convertible.. I was told it had a mild cam in it. Had lots of paperwork with past history on work done on it. I replaced the carb because the other one was junk and tired. Doesn't sound like or feel like a mild cam in it at all, just needed a tune up real bad. My question is what is the timing suppose to be? Is it the same as the book settings if it has a cam?
Thanks

Old 03-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cutter without the instructions if there were any I would start whereever the book says to start then try to work your way up to 12 or 13. Set and drive set and drive till you get it to where it should be without pinging. Where in Texas are you?

Old 03-31-2002, 05:57 PM

How big (cfm) of a new carb did you put on your 326? Did the previous owner have the heads ported? The stock 326 is *not* a heavy breather as compared to the 389/400 motors. Because of the small bore of the engine, the head casting partly shrouds the intake valves; that is the bottle neck on this engine. Trying to "improve" the engine by putting in a "hotter cam" using the stock heads will probably result in a poorer running engine than stock. Put too big a carb on it and the engine will run like a dog (overcarbed). I wouldn't put anything bigger than 500 cfm on it. A 400 cfm would probably work even better if you can find one of the old *Carter*, not Edelbrock, Performance carbs.

The factory got more HP out of this engine (326 H.O. @ 285hp) by upping the CR (10.1:1), using a 4bbl AFB and dual exhaust and installing a different distributor (probably curved a bit different than the standard 326). The cam was the same, as were the valve sizes, in both 326 versions.

Old 03-31-2002, 07:39 PM

My 326 HO has the original 625AFB, so it must have at least been designed to handle 625CFM.

1967 Firebird 326 H.O. Conv., M3 floor shift, 3.36:1, Montreaux Blue/Parchment, Dual factory traction bars
2005 IBM GTO M6 - One of 347
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Old 03-31-2002, 11:18 PM

Hey txbobcat, Thanks for the info. dialing in the timing is my game plan for now. will start with 6 degrees and work from there. I am in a little town called Tow. It's about 85 miles NW of Austin. How about you?

Old 03-31-2002, 11:20 PM

mudhen, I installed a 650 cfm. might have to lower if I can't get it better.

Old 04-01-2002, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cutter I live 2 miles south of Fort Worth. If you find another one of those cars give me a holler