Old 08-27-2000, 11:32 AM

Anybody know who reconditions chrome trim pieces (straighten, remove dents, chrome and polish).

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 08-27-2000, 11:32 AM

Anybody know who reconditions chrome trim pieces (straighten, remove dents, chrome and polish).

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 08-28-2000, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Greg, that's a pretty broad question, but hope this helps.

BUMPERS- Anybody in the Carolinas or Arizona. EPA laws kind-of lax therefore prices are very good.

DieCast- Otherwise known as pot-metal. Shop Hemmings Motor news in the "Services" section and go with a source that gives you the best confidence they have already done the same parts you want done. (Be prepared to spend $$)

Stainless steel- Every local area has companies that specialize in polishing & plating. Look in your yellow pages under that catagory. There are also sources in Hemmings. Stainless no matter how dingy looking will polish out like chrome if you are prepared to spend more $$$. Dings can also be completely removed for....you guessed it...more money.

Aluminum- Most aluminum on our Pontiacs is treated with a process called "annodizing" This is a protective coating that keeps aluminum from discoloration. You would first have to polish the aluminum (as above) and then either re-annodize or some choose to clear coat to save money.

Plastics- This is more for your interior and you can choose Vacuum Metalizing or true chrome plating. The latter being the clear winner for longevity and looks. However, there are only a few companies in the U.S. that will do either in small quantity. See Hemmings.

In any case most of the above options are more expensive than reproduction parts, so make sure that the part is not available in reproduction before hand.

Old 09-06-2000, 09:34 AM

go to eastwood.com for tools to repair that stainless steel.A flat hammer amd anvil will repair dings, buffing compound and buffing wheels do a great job of polishing the metal. The eastwood catalog has a list of which wheel/compound combination to use. Also try franks pontiac parts for used replacements.

Old 10-01-2000, 09:45 AM

I use Paul's chrome plating in PA for my consoles,bezels,and pot metal trim, that is being replated for a show cars.Pot metal is there specialy,as pot metal can expload if it is not done right or can also melt. Costs are high but the work is great. Prices depend on the condition of the parts and how much you would like to spend on them.

Owner of
Super Duty Enterprises

[This message has been edited by Rocco Testa (edited 10-01-2000).]

Old 10-01-2000, 01:15 PM

Plastics plating - small quantities try Abrite plating in cleveland, OH - they currently do interior but will be doing exterior within a couple of months. They do work for trim parts in milford, OH that you see advertised in various car magazines. remember the smaller the quantity the higher the price.

Chrome plating -Pauls plating in PA is one of the best - ask for Fred they are close to Cranberry just outside of Pittsburgh can't remember the exact town haven't been there in over 6 months.

Anodizing - a cheaper alternative if you are not doing a 100% resto ask for a clear "chemfilm" or iridite coating for aluminum mil spec C-5541 almost every anodize shop will have this service as well. will not hold up like anodize but should hold up for a few years for what you need. chemfilm also makes your aluminum parts more receptive to painting. I have treated many parts on my car with this (painted and unpainted) with no problems for years. Chemfilm is only readily available in gold or clear - clear will look silver. Anodize does offer more colors though if you are looking into decorative. also if you choose anodize ask for type 2 anodize.

Stainless Steel - Electropolish - 304 & 316 only, make sure it is a shop that has done it for awhile so you don't get your parts wrecked from "burning" them

If you have any questions regarding other plating or metal finishing processes E-Mail me. I work for a chemical supplier to the industry as a process trouble shooter for our customers. Might not get back to you right away due to job travel but will return your Email eventually

Chris - My helpful post for the year - did I win??

[This message has been edited by JB (edited 10-01-2000).]