The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-20-2002, 08:20 PM

I am planning on purchasing the quarter skin and outer wheelhouse for my 1968 Lemans Convertible Project. I have been told that both pieces need modifying to fit. Was wondering if anyone here has done this, and if so, exactly what does this entail? This is my first attempt at doing work of this kind. I plan on practicing a little more with the MIG before trying this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Also how high up to the body line does the hardtop quarter fit. And how much of the outer wheel well needs to be modified. Any info would be great!!

Old 11-20-2002, 08:20 PM

I am planning on purchasing the quarter skin and outer wheelhouse for my 1968 Lemans Convertible Project. I have been told that both pieces need modifying to fit. Was wondering if anyone here has done this, and if so, exactly what does this entail? This is my first attempt at doing work of this kind. I plan on practicing a little more with the MIG before trying this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Also how high up to the body line does the hardtop quarter fit. And how much of the outer wheel well needs to be modified. Any info would be great!!

Old 11-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Ben, drop me a email, I have several pictures of mine when I replaced the quarter panel. You don;t have to modify much on the top, just cut it down to match the body line of the convertible. Also, the repo panel, has the rocker panel molded into it. If you want it to look factory, you will need to cut & modify this area too.

Be sure, you don't start cutting out the old one until you have the repo part.

Carl

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh yea, one more thing, The only wheelhouse available for the convertible cars, are the coupe version. If your current wheelhouse can be repaired, consider it as an option. The modification of the coupe repro, is not easy. Lots of cutting & welding. I did this as well, let me know if I can help!

Carl

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA