Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-06-2001, 10:46 PM

I recently had the synchros in fourth gear in my muncie go bad. I took it out of my car and began to replace them and ended up replacing the input and main drive as well as both gear slider\selectors. Other than that all I replaced was the synchros and bearings and I reassembled it just like it was. Now the trans is worse than it was before. The 3rd and 4th gears are excellent and 1st and 2nd are good from a dead stop but if I try to downshift to either gear as soon as I let out the clutch it either pops straight out or makes a terrible grinding sound. I dont understand what I have done as I didnt replace anything having to do with 1st and 2nd and I put it back exactly as it was. It seems as though it is overtraveling in 1st and not fully engaging 2nd, is this possible? Has anyone had any similiar experience, I have tried everythign from adjusting the linkage to adjusting the shifter and am now convinced it is in the trans. HELP!!!!!

Old 04-06-2001, 10:46 PM

I recently had the synchros in fourth gear in my muncie go bad. I took it out of my car and began to replace them and ended up replacing the input and main drive as well as both gear slider\selectors. Other than that all I replaced was the synchros and bearings and I reassembled it just like it was. Now the trans is worse than it was before. The 3rd and 4th gears are excellent and 1st and 2nd are good from a dead stop but if I try to downshift to either gear as soon as I let out the clutch it either pops straight out or makes a terrible grinding sound. I dont understand what I have done as I didnt replace anything having to do with 1st and 2nd and I put it back exactly as it was. It seems as though it is overtraveling in 1st and not fully engaging 2nd, is this possible? Has anyone had any similiar experience, I have tried everythign from adjusting the linkage to adjusting the shifter and am now convinced it is in the trans. HELP!!!!!

Old 04-07-2001, 07:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I am not an expert but I have rebuilt a few Muncies.. Sounds like your shifter is simply out of adjustment and not letting the synchro rings travel the correct distance. Too far one way, not enough the other.

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/