The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-27-2001, 01:58 PM
Senior Chief

Too bad the 1965-1970 8.875 "P" ring gears don't interchange with the 1971-1977 8.875 "P" ring gears. A good friend of mine has a nice 3.42:1 ring and pinion out of a 1973 Cutlass wagon. Can anyone verify if the ring gears will work?

Old 12-27-2001, 07:38 PM

Txbobcat,

That was one greasy engine compartment when I started. The more I de-greased and scrubbed, the more I wanted to get it as close to perfect as possible. I eventually ended up removing the hood hinges, the auto transmission lines, replaced the battery tray, w/w bottle, stuff like that. Some of you guys have seen my shop, so you know I can get Kind of anal about cleaning! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I would definitely recommend replacing the brake and trans lines while the engine is out. It really cleans up the engine compartment by replacing some of the easily replaced stuff. (available through PY, of course!)

Kurt

Old 12-28-2001, 10:44 AM

Tom, try Franks Pontiac parts 760-789-0669
franks1@cts.com. He is located in CA. It is a huge Pontiac salvage yard, specializing in A and F bodies, but also has some or can find parts for the B body. On my last project 68goat, I was able to obtain a lot of hard to locate parts. Anybody doing a resto, keep him in mind.
Steve

Old 12-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveopolus:
Tom, try Franks Pontiac parts 760-789-0669
franks1@cts.com. He is located in CA. It is a huge Pontiac salvage yard, specializing in A and F bodies, but also has some or can find parts for the B body. On my last project 68goat, I was able to obtain a lot of hard to locate parts. Anybody doing a resto, keep him in mind.
Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What years does he specialize in?

Old 12-31-2001, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Found an excellent site that describes the whole process with pic's and details in writing right down to a list of necessary items before you begin. Try www.classicalpontiac.com/restoration/10.html

Hope that helps....Happy New Year... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 01-06-2002, 12:29 PM

Here's a couple of pictures of Mike's (455 Cromartie) 455 before he put it back in his Firebird.

Looks like the project is coming along great, Mike!

Old 01-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lookin' good!

I like that impromptu table! Mountain Dew is my fav, as well (next to brown pop)! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 01-06-2002, 05:37 PM

What's the best way to get oil and dirt off a motor thats already out and sitting on a stand when you can't warm it up to use a lot of those degreasers

Old 01-07-2002, 09:17 AM

The engnow back in the car attached to a TH400. Ive got the 3.55 gears now all thats left is the posi.

MIKE

Old 01-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURBO80T/AROB:
What's the best way to get oil and dirt off a motor thats already out and sitting on a stand when you can't warm it up to use a lot of those degreasers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a "steam clean" unit. It's actually a pressure washer w/ a heating unit that the temp. can be adjusted up to 180 deg.
I'm lucky as we have two at work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!