Old 03-10-2005, 02:00 PM

I want to redo my 64 catalina brakes and was wondering where i could get the parts to redo them and how much should it run me? they are drum brakes all around. I do have a shop manual so I plan on doing it nyself if it's not to hard.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:00 PM

I want to redo my 64 catalina brakes and was wondering where i could get the parts to redo them and how much should it run me? they are drum brakes all around. I do have a shop manual so I plan on doing it nyself if it's not to hard.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Are you just replacing the pads? Or are you going to do everything?

The best advice I would give is to get those drums to a machine shop once you get them off, and use gas to wash the grease off of your hands.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kanter Auto Products has everything you need but first try NAPA. I have found that they can supply many parts for older cars.
Also DON'T clean anything with GASOLINE.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM

I was hoping to do everything as I have had the car for about 6 years and haven't done a thing to the brakes.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 PM

What parts should i ask for? i know stupi question but i just want to be sure what i need.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just my two cents: Sounds like all you need is an ordinary brake job as you make no mention of any leaks in your system. In that case, here is what I do: First go to the auto parts store and order brake shoes for the front and rear. They probably won't have them in stock for your year and will have to order them in for you. Find out if they turn drums, some parts stores do. If they don't, find a garage near by that does. Pick up some Brake Parts Cleaner while you are at the store. When your parts arrive and you pick them up the first thing you want to do is pull a drum off the front and one off the rear and compare the shoes you bought to what is on the car making sure that they are identical. If they arn't, take 'em back and order another set. If they are then remove all four drums and take them to be turned. Returning to the car: Change the shoes on one side of the car at a time following the instructions in your manual. Only do one side at a time, that way when you go to put on the new shoes if you can't remember how all the springs and other mechanisms fit together you can look at brakes on the other side of the car for reference. While you are at it you may want to repack your front wheel bearings with fresh grease. Go for it and good luck, you'll get it done.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll agree with what 2BadCat said.

I see you're in Golden Valley...call Red Rooster Auto. They have two stores, one in Bloomington and one in Crystal. They're REAL auto parts stores, with knowledgeable people behind the counter. The last time I did a brake job on my '61, they didn't have the shoes in stock but they were able to get them the next day. They also have a machine shop and can turn your drums.

I don't recall the cost, but I'm sure it was less than $100 for new shoes for all four wheels. If you're planning on doing more work (like replacing or rebuilding the wheels cylinders or brake hoses) it'll be more involved and more expensive.

You really should get a shop manual, it will make life a lot easier. However, if you've ever done a brake job before these cars are pretty simple. Let me know if you need any help, I can loan you my shop manual if you like (the brakes on 1961 and 1964 cars are pretty much the same.)

Edited to add: I misread your post, you DO have a shop manual. Anyway, let me know if you need any help.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Suspended

don't turn drums unless they need it. Turning drums every brake job is worthless unless they are warped. Just take a green scotchguard pad and brake cleaner to them to remove any glaze. any scoring or ridge then consider turning.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:06 AM

Pittsburgh..that 67 master cylinder in your 64- did it bolt right up to your booster? What proportioning valve did you use?

Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a comment on this. GM used 2 different braking systems: Delco & Bendix. If you go to Autozone, NAPA etc, and they don't have the Pontiac parts listed, ask for Impala parts, they're the same and they'll have them in stock.

-r-

Old 03-27-2005, 12:01 PM

How do I get the drums off? They seem stuck. Do I need to get a rubber mallet and tap it.

Also pittsburgh 64, how hard is it to put in that dual master cyl?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing to do is make sure the brake shoe adjuster is backed off. Pull that little rubber plug out of the backing plate and reach in there with a screwdriver and spin the little star wheel. I can never remember which way to turn it, but you'll figure it out - either the shoes will loosen up, or they'll get tight and you'll have to go the other way.

Once that's done, see if it will wiggle loose. You may have to go at it with something bigger than a rubber mallet if it doesn't want to move - I've had to whang away on them with a sledgehammer before, if they were really rusted on. Pound on the front, then the back, then the front again and so on to break it loose from the hub. You usually have to get them to wiggle back and forth for a while.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To add to Stuarts comments - first lets make sure we're talking about the rear drum, and I've had to do what Stuart said with a drum puller attached. You can rent them at Autozone or a tool rental place.

If it's the front drums, you'll need to remove the dust cap, remove the pin that goes through the axle/nut and then take the nut off which holds the drum onto the axle.

-r-