67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM

My brother in law is a welder and said he will help me with my 1969 firebird convertible. Here are some picture and what I think I need. If anyone can fill in the blanks or point out something I missed I would appricate it. Also, what is the order I should do things. I am planning on ordering the parts from NPD. I have the fisher book but could not find a lot of information for the braces, rocker and floor pans.

Thanks,
Neil

1 - Not sure
2 - Full Length floor pan (C-12900-1A)

1 - FLOOR PAN, Under Rear Seat (C-12905-1A)
2 - Not sure, is this the inner rocker panel?

1 - Not sure is this BRACE, Convertible Floor Pan (C-12806-2A)?

1 - ROCKER PANEL, Outer (C-12934-2A)
2 - Not sure

1 - Will the oouter rocker panel fix most of this?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM

My brother in law is a welder and said he will help me with my 1969 firebird convertible. Here are some picture and what I think I need. If anyone can fill in the blanks or point out something I missed I would appricate it. Also, what is the order I should do things. I am planning on ordering the parts from NPD. I have the fisher book but could not find a lot of information for the braces, rocker and floor pans.

Thanks,
Neil

1 - Not sure
2 - Full Length floor pan (C-12900-1A)

1 - FLOOR PAN, Under Rear Seat (C-12905-1A)
2 - Not sure, is this the inner rocker panel?

1 - Not sure is this BRACE, Convertible Floor Pan (C-12806-2A)?

1 - ROCKER PANEL, Outer (C-12934-2A)
2 - Not sure

1 - Will the oouter rocker panel fix most of this?

Old 05-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't help much with your question but I'm impressed you're tackling such a big project. Good luck and keep us posted!

John

Old 05-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to tell all from the pictures but for starters....
1. I did not see the the front floor pans but figure they are shot too along with the trans tunnel so you need a full front to back side to side floor pan.
2. The leaf spring front mounts need a new pair.
3.Outer wheel wells..both sides
4.I am not sure how the rockers are but in a Convertible they are pretty thick so they may not need replacing but the attaching points front and rear.
5.A Rolex watch for your Brother-In-law for helping you.
I have seen worse so do not get discouraged and stick with it!
Let us know how it progresses as we are always glad to help out !

Old 05-05-2005, 05:10 AM

1. The front floor pan only has a 1 inch rust hole near the drain plug but I am just going to replace the whole thing while I am at it.

2. What do the mounts attach to? The third picture brace is what I am not sure of.

3. I was thinking that I would only need to patch the wheel well on the drivers side because the only rust area is what is shown in the last picture.

4. Are the attachment points on the rockers? Does someone repo them? Is that what is what is #2 on the second picture?

5. No rolex, unlimited beer and use of our jet ski. Also, we live in Maryland so lots of crabs...

To the other post it is a big project but a friend of mine owned his own repair shop and is going to help with the mechanial part. I assumed this was going to take a while, my friend wants to get it on the road in 6 months.

Thanks again.
Neil

Old 05-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

nbenz,

The first thing I would suggest is to get the body braced BERFORE you cut out anything. Run some square tubing (maybe 1") in the door openings and then criss-cross the open passenger compartment from front door jam to the opposite rear corner.

You've got to get this body supported to keep it from twisting and bending. Are your door seams okay now or does the body seem to be saggig?

After that I'd go with what SteveK posted, and a double on the Rolex watch!!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:54 AM

Doors open and close no problem, seams great and no sage at all. The strange thing about this car is this is the only area of bad rust, the passager side is fine. I guess one of my main questions besides what parts I need is what do you do first, is it replace the rocker panel or the floor pan.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neil, please do brace it as 64 mentioned. If not you may cause too much flexing in door, quarter and tunnel areas. I would start to replace the full floor first after bracing it. The rocker panels are very heavy duty and check them for rust at front/back mounting points. If they are good, do the full floor pans as this would be easiest. If you are replacing the quarters, replace the outer wheel well or patch that one if minimal rust. I take it the rear frame and mount points are ok?

Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 AM

The rear frame mount points are good. Where ( what pictures shows the area) should I check for the front/back mounting points of the rocker panel. What do I need to look for? Is the second picture # 2 the area? This area is rusted pretty bad.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 05-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

#2 is the floor pan over the RP and looks like rust on the floor pan only.. Check the RP front to back from under the car. I see in #3 it looks ok.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 AM

The rocker panel from front to back only looks rusty where it is connected on the botton (look at picture 4 #2) and at the end (picture 4 #1). Now, I assume that the rocker panel is connected to the floor pan at that area (picture 4 #2) so when I replace the floor pan that area will get fixed, is that correct? Now I looked at the other side of the car and it looks like one of the spring mount connection points is part of the floor pan, do the replacement floor pans have this attachment point? Aso, does anyone repo the brace (picture 3 #1) under the floor pan? If so who? What pare number/name?

Thanks,
Neil

Old 05-06-2005, 09:38 AM

Neil,

I have about the same problem on my wife's 67. I have done some extensive fabrication on the rokerpanels. I started in the front, since I still needed to move the car around (having the rear with tires helps). I have been using 14 gauge sheet metal and forming as required. I have not got to the back yet, hopefully in 2 weeks. I have not been able to find the bracing that would go under the rear seat and allow the spring perches to attach to. It appears to be 14 gauge as well on this brace. I will post pictures as I get to it. Good luck and do not get discouraged.

I am doing everything with the rockerpanels first, then the floorpan. Passenger was nowhere as bad.

Later, Jon

Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 PM

Jon,
Thanks I would appricate it, my passenger hardly has any problems..

Thanks,
Neil

Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM

Does anyone know who repos the brace in picture 3 # 1 or the brace in picture 1 #1

Thanks,
Neil