Old 04-06-2002, 12:47 AM

HELP!!!! I'm trying to put my front coil springs back after cleaning and rebushing a frames. I have a strut spring compressor but its to big to inbetween the a frames when the spring is compressed. I know you guys must have a dozen tricks up your sleeves. Thanks a bunch

Old 04-06-2002, 12:47 AM

HELP!!!! I'm trying to put my front coil springs back after cleaning and rebushing a frames. I have a strut spring compressor but its to big to inbetween the a frames when the spring is compressed. I know you guys must have a dozen tricks up your sleeves. Thanks a bunch

Old 04-06-2002, 01:55 AM
Senior Chief

You will need the spring comp. that fits inside the coil spring. The strut types do not work well with our type of setup. Safety is also a factor using the strut style, a buddy of mine had the strut style on his slip thus sending the spring accross the garage. Spend the $15.00 at a local rental place if you don't want to shell out money for the correct type. Good luck.

"It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten"

Old 04-06-2002, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Coaster,
I've always done it by placing a floor jack under the A-arm and slowly jacking the spring into place. If the engine is out of the car you can wedge a 2x4 between the car frame and an over head roof joist. Temporarily wire a piece of aircraft cable around the spring and the frame. If the spring would slip it won't come flying out and rearange your dental work.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 04-06-2002, 08:29 AM

Your right bud can't afford the dental with the price of parts today. I'll look for the rental comp and if all else fails i'll jack up the house. Thanks

Old 04-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The spring compressor you are looking for, fits INSIDE the coil.(as already mentioned) It has a threaded center with 2 sets of 'hooks', one for the top and one for the bottom of the spring(attach to coil about 3 inches from the ends so you don't interfere with the seating of the spring) Be sure to have the adjusting nut facing UP so you can operate the compressor from the hole in the upper control arm where the shock attaches. Only compress the spring enough to get it seated, then drop a chain or cable through the coil and fasten off to the frame. Then compress the spring, with an extension on your ratchet just eough to resecure the lower ball joint(assuming that you already have 1 of the ball joints attached, the upper is my preference to have already attached) Now you are set to 'back off' the compressor, disconnect your safety, and install your shock. Please use the safety cable, these things stop for NOTHING when they slip.
Good Luck

Old 04-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here is a link to some spring compressors. The one you want is the one at the bottom of page.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/toolaid/suspn01.html

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 04-06-2002, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the great info. went to a parts swap meet today and found the exact compressor your talking about gave the guy a 20 and was on my way, also found a deck lid and a pair of gto emblems for the quarters. Don't ya just wish every day was like this.. Thanks guys sure I'll have afew dozen more questions before I'm done