Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 PM

My grandson owns a 1974 Ventura. It has been sitting in my driveway for a year because he lost his license and hasn't come up with the $600 it will take to get it back. Engine & transmission are good, interior not bad. Has a gas leak, needs new tires & rear fenders are rusted.Is this a piece of junk or should he try to sell it for parts or as is? A guy offered to trade him an 84 Cavalier. I just want it out of my driveway!I'm a children's librarian who knows little about old cars so thought I'd go to you..the experts.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 PM

My grandson owns a 1974 Ventura. It has been sitting in my driveway for a year because he lost his license and hasn't come up with the $600 it will take to get it back. Engine & transmission are good, interior not bad. Has a gas leak, needs new tires & rear fenders are rusted.Is this a piece of junk or should he try to sell it for parts or as is? A guy offered to trade him an 84 Cavalier. I just want it out of my driveway!I'm a children's librarian who knows little about old cars so thought I'd go to you..the experts.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good morning Grandma, and welcome to these forums!

The 1974 Venturi is a excellent donor for someone restoring a 1974 GTO. My 2 Lincolns would suggest trying to sell it as is. And while it may seem a "piece of junk" to you, someone wants it; the trick is to find that someone.

I guess there probably is some market somewhere for a 1984 Cavalier, but probably much less than the Ventura.

Since you are a "children's librarian" you should fit in well with those of us in the car hobby, who remain "children" regardless of our ages.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

How much would you want for the car ?
Don
937-581-6145

Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need parts.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 PM

Just to let everyone know, we sold the car for $250.00 and it was hauled away New Years Eve. I was glad to see her go and my grandson was glad to get the money and I'll be signing off until one of them buys another 'vintage' piece of junk!
Grandma