Old 11-01-2000, 01:43 PM

I have a '67 lemans that originally had disc brakes. Somewhere along the line they were replaced by drums. They saved the spindles, backing plates, calipers in the trunk. Does anybody know how to tell if they changed the booster and master cylinder? Are they different than a drum car? What about the proportioning valve? Are the control arms the same? Are any of these parts available anywhere? Help!!!

Old 11-01-2000, 01:43 PM

I have a '67 lemans that originally had disc brakes. Somewhere along the line they were replaced by drums. They saved the spindles, backing plates, calipers in the trunk. Does anybody know how to tell if they changed the booster and master cylinder? Are they different than a drum car? What about the proportioning valve? Are the control arms the same? Are any of these parts available anywhere? Help!!!

Old 11-01-2000, 05:20 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Jayman,
Contact this person for help. Jim Chervanka
414 543-9010. He lives in Milwaukee and has considerable knowledge of 67's and can help with the change over. Your car Likely did not come with disk brakes. Do you have the build sheet? The booster is the same. Master is different. Proportioning valve is different and has a valve in line. Control lines are the same. 67's and early 68's had dual piston calipers which are rare and failure prone. Do you have these with the car or do you have the later single piston caliper?

------------------
Gatomon
A car is cheaper than a girlfriend. Better than a wife. If it gives you trouble you can park it and forget about it!

Old 11-01-2000, 06:44 PM

Blackcat,
yes I have the build sheet my car is a 326 H.O. LeMans convertible with nearly every conceivable option, the only one they missed is the passenger recline. The list includes: H.O, posi, disc brakes, air conditioning, tilt, cruise, wood wheel, power windows, power seat, headrests, am-fm, rear speaker, power antenna, superlift , power top, door edge guards, vanity mirror, underhood lamp, power trunk releas, safeguard speedometer. I think that's most of 'em. Can't imagine too many like this were built much less still left with all the options intact. Anyway back to the disc brake question, should I not bother to put themm back on, are they more trouble than its worth. I drive the car fairly regular.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 11-01-2000, 07:03 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Great,
You have the build sheet. Putting them back on requires changing the spindles, proportioning valve, flex hoses, possible hose frame mounts. They probably changed to drums because of the dual piston calipers. You do have them with the car? I would go to single piston 69-72 calipers and mounting brackets. They are easier to find and replace. If you really want to go original.
Contact Master power brakes or Stainless Steel brake co. They have adds in most car mags. Please call Jim for more help as he is right in your area. Tell him I recommended you to him. If the brakes work well replacing them is up to you. Why spend the money if you don't need to.

------------------
Gatomon
A car is cheaper than a girlfriend. Better than a wife. If it gives you trouble you can park it and forget about it!

Old 11-01-2000, 11:52 PM

Blackcat,

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the typo's I was on the way out. Yes, I have the original dual piston brakes. They are still assembled on the spindles from when they were replaced, sometime in the early 70's, according to the previous owner. He just couldn't remember what was all changed.

Jay