Old 03-06-2005, 08:27 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

I have noticed quite a few 69 Goat grills on ebay for cheap prices. I sit possible, or practical, to buy these and have the chrome repaired for pitting and peeling? How difficult, and expensive, would that be? Or is a guy better off with repos?

Old 03-06-2005, 08:27 PM
"Teacher

I have noticed quite a few 69 Goat grills on ebay for cheap prices. I sit possible, or practical, to buy these and have the chrome repaired for pitting and peeling? How difficult, and expensive, would that be? Or is a guy better off with repos?

Old 03-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The chrome should not be very bad on them to start with.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 AM
"Teacher

That's true, but can they be re-chromed if it is pitted or peeling? In other words, why pay $300 for a piece of plastic if you can pay $50 and then $30 for rechroming of the pieces? Are the chrome pieces removable from the plastic for rechroming.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The chrome pieces can be very rough form having the rocks hit them (or simply corrosion) over the years...but they can be re'chromed and they are removeable by removing the screws holding them from back of grille. Don't know the cost however.
Remember that the Repos are all one piece plastic (including the moulding). They are not like the originals, with separate Chrome moulding.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just took the chrome off mine to prepare for the "easy-off" paint removal process.. broke 3 or 4 of those screws taking the chrome off.. Now I need to see if I can easy-out the screws, or if I'll just have to live with the chrome attached by less than all the original GM-engineer specified.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, those buggers can be tough to remove...try soaking them in penetrating oil first then do not force them but simply try to turn them a bit CW and CCW..some will come right off but others may still stay stuck, (I believe they are aluminium, so they tend to break off easily). On some of mine I also broke a couple off but they were in the middle so no great loss..It's when they are at the edge of the moulding that it may be more risky.

Good luck with the Easy Off..You'll be amazed at how "easy" the paint comes off...remember to spray them thoroughly and put them in a plastic bag overnight. You may need to repeat process if there are several coats of paint on them.