Old 07-17-2001, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

I am going to bring up this blasted discussion again!!!! I have a74 GTO that I transplanted it's original 350 with a healthy 400! I have now gotten the car to run halfway decent at 12.6 @ 106 mph! The problem I am having is that it wants to run between 200 and 220 for the most part! It is a 74 400 with #16 heads that are mildly ported and it is a stock rod bottom end with Trw forged pistons! I also have the stock 3 row radiator ( I know who was I trying to kid) and just went back to the original thermostatic clutch fan from a 17 inch 5 blade Hayden flex fan! I seem to think the flex kept the car a little cooler but I keep reading how everyone here(for the most part) runs the stock fan and brags about how well it works! In addition to the running hot I am having a problem with heat soaked starter as well! I am not sure of the age of the starter, but have never had trouble till recently with this motor in it's newly found combination! Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-2001, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

I am going to bring up this blasted discussion again!!!! I have a74 GTO that I transplanted it's original 350 with a healthy 400! I have now gotten the car to run halfway decent at 12.6 @ 106 mph! The problem I am having is that it wants to run between 200 and 220 for the most part! It is a 74 400 with #16 heads that are mildly ported and it is a stock rod bottom end with Trw forged pistons! I also have the stock 3 row radiator ( I know who was I trying to kid) and just went back to the original thermostatic clutch fan from a 17 inch 5 blade Hayden flex fan! I seem to think the flex kept the car a little cooler but I keep reading how everyone here(for the most part) runs the stock fan and brags about how well it works! In addition to the running hot I am having a problem with heat soaked starter as well! I am not sure of the age of the starter, but have never had trouble till recently with this motor in it's newly found combination! Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-2001, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New either 4core or two wide core radiator. Get rid of that flex fan. Get either a stock fan with shroud and clutch or a electric fan. A new 180 thermostat will help also.
\

As far as a the starter problems, I would install a new starter, mini hi torque with a solonoid heat sheild or starter heat sheild wrap.

[This message has been edited by FFCC (edited 07-20-2001).]