Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-25-2000, 09:29 PM

Location: originally Odessa, TX. Currently stationed in Tampa, FL

Hey guys, I've never run an aftermarket oil pan on any of my Pontiacs, but I want to run a 6 or 7 quart oil pan on the 455 I'm building up for street/strip use. Who makes the best pan, Milodon, Moroso, Warrior? Any fit problems in a '68 Lemans?
Thanks...

Old 03-25-2000, 09:29 PM

Hey guys, I've never run an aftermarket oil pan on any of my Pontiacs, but I want to run a 6 or 7 quart oil pan on the 455 I'm building up for street/strip use. Who makes the best pan, Milodon, Moroso, Warrior? Any fit problems in a '68 Lemans?
Thanks...

Old 03-25-2000, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know about the others, but I have a Warrior 6-quart pan, and the quality of the fit isn't that great. It's a nice pan, but several of the bolt holes had to be elongated as they weren't drilled correctly.

Old 03-26-2000, 10:13 PM

M.
I have not tried it, but Butler sells a couple of different higher capacity pans, including one with wings which should fit in the '68 Lemans/GTO chassis. It is rumored that a Poncho will pump the pan dry in a long high speed run. I do not know if that is true, but it can't hurt to have more oil available as long as it does not get whipped into foam by the crank, but thats what windage trays are there to control. Butler also lists a road race pan, but it says it won't fit the GTO chassis, but does not specify what years it won't fit.

Good luck,

K.

Old 04-01-2000, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

I have run deep sump pans- (bad on the street) & I have used the warrior pan. I am now running a Canton pan from Jim Butler on my last 2 hot pontiacs that see some street duty.The capacity is large & ground clearance is the same as stock ,They have a kickout at the sides for the extra capacity,however there is not any problem with clearance I run the large tube headers & still have plenty of room.An added bonus is theat the pan is gold irridated for a more durable finish,The pan fit to the block was great my engine builder now orders them for all of the pontiacs he builds.

Old 04-04-2000, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Canton pan sounds just like my Milodon Roadrace pan. Only I wouldn't say the milodon has "kickouts" to the sides, it's more like the sump just comes straight down from the pan rails instead of tapering inwards like the stock pan does. Plent of room for starter and headers, a 7qt. capacity, and great baffling that keeps the oil pressure up even when autocrossing and attacking those long freeway onramps. There's a picture of it on my engine on this web page, just scroll to the bottom:
http://www.geocities.com/willhbaker/...hortblock.html

Old 04-05-2000, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Canton kicks out on the driver's side only. I liked the idea of more ground clearance. However, I can't even remove the mini-starter without either taking the header off (which I don't think I can maneuver with the starter in place), or I have to remove the trans, converter and flex plate. When the engine comes out, or the starter konks out, I will replace it with something where the starter can still drop out.

------------------
Jim

Old 04-05-2000, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Milodon can drop the starter easily and has alot of baffling. Their pickup was a little close on the bottom. The bolt that comes with the pickup doesn't fit ANY pump I have.

I contrast I am putting together a motor now with the 77-up TA pan and the Mellings pick up is almost 3/4 of an inch from the bottom! The price on this pan jumped from a little over $100 last year to over $200 this year. Tack in a baffle and trap door underneath it's flat baffle and you have a decent street cornering pan. Kind of like the old HO modified pan but I extended the baffle further in front because my HO pan would drop a little pressure on a quick stop box in autocrossing and its baffle didn't go all the way across.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 04-07-2000, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It's great that we can use this site this way so that we can reward companies that make quality products by sending them more business.

Old 04-07-2000, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know Nunzi carries a variety of extended quart oil pans. I almost purchased one, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. They look stock too.