Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

I recently posted about a problem with my cyl heads. People said my valvetrain geometry had changed and the easiest way to fix it would be to get chevy 7/16" studs and locknuts. The parts stores didn't have them(surprise, surprise) and I was wondering if the arp chevy/pontiac studs and Crane koolnuts would work well. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

I recently posted about a problem with my cyl heads. People said my valvetrain geometry had changed and the easiest way to fix it would be to get chevy 7/16" studs and locknuts. The parts stores didn't have them(surprise, surprise) and I was wondering if the arp chevy/pontiac studs and Crane koolnuts would work well. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If your heads already have screw-in studs, you need to order studs w/7/16" top & 7/16" bottoms. these are also the same as for BB Chevy. If they are pressed in studs you will need to get studs w/7/16" top & 1/2" bottoms, and you will have to tap your heads for 1/2-13 NC threads.
Good luck,
Herb

[ April 17, 2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Goatnad ]

74 Ventura 462/#13 heads/3350#
10.38 @ 128.89 MPH, N/A, Stock suspension, 275/60 Radial, Street legal, Tagged & Insured
Old 04-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Crane cool nuts are ok, but I really like the locks from ARP. They are excellent!
As are their studs.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. The only reason I thought "kool nuts" is because they are cheaper than the ARP locknuts.

Old 04-18-2002, 12:03 PM

I have a set of the #99768 3/8 x 24 Kool Nuts that I've never installed. The Summit catalog says they're "counterbored for use with bottleneck studs." Does that mean they'll make my valvetrain adjustable without changing studs? (#13 heads)

Does anybody recommend any sort of thread locker on that type of rocker nut? It makes me nervous to think about those little allen screws loosening up and wandering around in my engine.

Old 04-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the cool nuts are only to be used for stamped rocker arms or stamped roller tip arms.
That's what I used them on.
Don't believe they will work w/ roller rockes.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I forgot to say I'd be using them on stock rockers. So they would work with stock screw-in studs?

Old 04-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Colorado, if you want an adjustable valvetrain you need the 7/16" studs with poly-locks. The bottleneck studs are for stock engines, no block deck or head milling, no cam change ( lobe base circle ) pushrod lenght, head gasket thickness, the stock bottlenecks get torqued to 20 ft lbs and are not adjustable. If you want to learn how to adjust your valves, click onto this site.------- http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.htm

Old 04-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you are using a really wild cam and springs, chev locknuts or polylocks for 3/8 will work just fine with stock bottleneck studs. Not the way for a hotrod motor but for a cruiser I have been there, done that, with high mile daily commuter experience. Have not gone out of adjustment, have not pulled the studs out, have not bent anything, did not cost a lot of time and money.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:49 AM

Don't know if anyone has had this problem with 7/16 ARP studs but, I ordered the BB Chevy ones and after torquing them down the push rod guide plates were still loose. Exchanged for SB Chevy /Pontiac units (Summit Catalog) and the lock nut threads were 1/8 inch too short.

Ended up with Mr. Gasket 7/16 BB Chevy studs. Plates locked down when torqued and the thread length was correct. BTW, I am using Competition Cams push rod guide plates so maybe the stock Pontiac plates work with the ARP studs.

Old 04-20-2002, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no problem on my RAIV heads with ARP BBC studs with stock or Comp guide plates. My E heads they bottomed out, need the Pontiac/SBC 7/16".

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 04-20-2002, 02:51 AM

The Crane kool nuts for bottle neck studs do allow complete adjustment of the lifter preload. We have used a set on the stock rockers with bottleneck studs for over 20,000 miles and the same nuts with the Comp Magnum roller tip rockers on bottleneck studsfor over 10,000 miles with no problems in setting or retaining adjustment. This has been over the last 5 years in a mild 455 with a Crane hmv 278 cam. Probably 200 1/8 mile passes also.

[ April 20, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Bignjun - Rhett ]

-------------------------------