Old 02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey GAS455. I got your picture. Thanks.

Your "diff" sounds impressive. I haven't torn up any of the stock 60 drivetrain yet. Been lucky I guess but thses old rears are like a ton truck unit. I still have several "pumpkins" ready to roll. I should invest in a good set of axles. I consider them my weakest link.

Keep those sixties flying mate!

Jim Brady- I would be interested in seeing the finished product when you are finished with your 61. I had a 61 Bonny convertible with a "built" 368HP/four speed car I terrorized the streets with back in the seventies. The Fords,Chevys,& Mopars didn't know what hit 'em. Oh to have that one back now.

Outlaw Pontiac Racers Association"For Those Who Live The Legend"

Do it now fool! Life is short.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I talked to Bill Grace yesterday, he is coming from Sacramento with his tilt front end, M/T crossrammed, 4 speeded '60 Catalina to particpate at my events in Phoenix
April 5 and 6. We'll get some pics of it. www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 03-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a neat 60 Ca. Steve. Be very interested in pictures. I have seen some pictures of a wild looking 60 from California with a set of injector intake stacks in the air without a hood or front bumper. I was to have been a 4 speed car. Anybody know about this car?

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:33 AM

GAS455: Don't waste your time and money on a ford rear diff, The stock Pontiac unit is stronger! It's what Garlits used for years in his "Swamp Rat" dragsters.

Save your empty beer cans! The Japanese need 'em to make cars!

Old 03-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chuck- I agree the old Pontiac/Olds rears were bigger & stronger than a stock 9". I have had problems getting a good gear selection. It has taken me about 3 years and considerable $$$ to have a inventory of decent ratios(3.42-4.56) to run in my bracket car. I would imagine that Gas455 is limited by being "Down Under". Seems to me his car came with a Chevy rear as it was an Export vehicle.(?)

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

60man,

I thought only Canadian pontiacs had chevy. running gears, did all exports have them also?????

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 03-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with 60man,pontiac gear selection is very limited these days,you almost have to run a spool as the posi will break under heavy traction and the posi side gears are NOT avail.I have stretched the bolts that hold the 57-63 case togther,the pinion and side gears strip and wipe the whole damn thing out.I still run a early posi setup by Toms Diff.but if I was starting over I would use a 9in.Tom

Old 03-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

There's a guy by the name of Brad Durst in Tx that is offering new parts and service on these Pont/Olds 9 1/4" rears. Last year they made a run of 3.64 ring and pinions through Mark Williams and they fit the more common 2.78-3.23 carrier. He had a parts and service list too. If you want his phone number, email me. I haven't dealt with him except for buying 1 set of the 3.64's but, he may be worth a try for parts and service work. They are also seen listed on ebay often.
When building my front motor top fuel dragster, I wanted to make it ALL Pontiac but, since there is no quantity of pro series 3.90 gears, I had to use 9" parts. Only 3.90 gears are allowed for the class.
This is a pretty good web site but, it is put together wrong. Why do they have a '61 and older column and then a '62-'66 one? It shoudl be '60 and older and such. I can only guess that whoever put this site together is not familiar with big car stuff. Most everything of interest to '61 people is of intertest to '62 people. '61s have almost nothing in common with 60's. Where '61 and '62s are almost the same mechanically. Oh well. Still it would be easier to reach everyone of interest by not having to post the same topic under multiple headings. This subject of 9 1/4" rears may be of interest under the racers list too. Steve www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 03-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about all export cars having Chebby rears but I believe Gas455's is a Canadian car. Just happens to be in Austraila I guess.

I have been dealing with Brad for quite some time. I got in on the 3.64 gears deal myself. I have also purchased numerous other posi stuff from him. He is very good business man and a great machinist the produces a lot of early SD parts. We should feel fortunate to have Brad helping to further the cause.
Racing Pontiac's of course.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-17-2003, 04:08 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Guy's,

60 Pontiacs were sold new in Australia by Holden.
It was the Canadian model and would of had the 283 Chev engine in it. It has the same dash as a 59/60 Chev aswell. As far as I know they were shipped out in containers and assembled in Australia by Holden.
Same I guess as a '39 Pontiac that I bought. It was build 133 and ahad a Holden Badge on it in the engine bay. Holden started making their own cars in '48.

But....yes it is difficult to get anything for the Pontiacs. Panels and stuff like that aren't too bad....but High Performance stuff....well I'm ordering all of that from Jim Butler.

I would say that most Pontiacs in Australia would be the Canadian variety.....and most people put a chev in them anyway as it is so much easier and cheaper for them to get the parts.

60MAN.... There are some more pics of my car on Kurts web site.

Check em out and let me know what you think.

Greg

Old 03-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Senior Chief

My axles should be here in a week or so...so there's no turning back now!!!

I'm putting a 2 piece tailshaft back into the car as I have constant scrubbing problems with the 1 piece on the chassis. I'm getting a chrome moly unit made up and also a larger centre bearing.

I'm using 1350 Yokes and a stack of other parts that will hopefully hang together. I have the parts list at work....I'll post it tomorrow and you guys can tell me what you think.

Greg

Old 03-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah yes! The two piece driveshaft. If you have a 59-60 you are stuck with it. Sounds like you are on the right track Greg. The main thing is proper alignment. Keep the shaft leveled as per the shop manual. The 1350's are a good idea. I know of several people running the stock center bearing with no problems with potent 455's.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Senior Chief

I hope I don't break anything.
I'm paying the extra now...so I don't have to pay for it later!!!!

Troy,
Do you know any more about that wild '60 that you posted about a few posts above????

Greg

Old 03-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg. I haven't found out any more on the wild 60 with the injector tubes yet. Maybe some of the west coast guys can help. It was pictured in one of the old Outlaw Pontiac Racers Assoc. news letters.

I went to Kurt's(61man) site but couldn't track down your pictures.

I should mailing the pictures of my two 60's to you tomorrow. Let me know when they arrive. I can't seem get the hang of my digital camera.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Senior Chief

Troy,

Sorry Mate...I didn't realise there were more than one Kurt.

www.kurtspontiac.homestead.com

It's under Australian Laurentian.

Thanks mate for your pics.

Greg

Old 03-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Greg.
Neat ride! The engine bay looks GREAT!
Two door/Four door, doesn't matter. This is a true SPORT SEDAN. Beautiful car.

I notice you are running 4.11 gears. Have you ever run it on a 1/4 mile track? If so. What is your trap speeds and rpms and what size tires. I am told 4.10's would be too much gear for my 464" motor with same trans set up as yours.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-20-2003, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

The diff is in getting built at the moment...I am planning on running 4.11 gears..but I'm going to take the car for a run and see how she goes ....I may change to something different.

As soon as the diff is in I'll take it down the strip again and see what I can do....

Greg

Old 04-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg. (GAS455) Did you get my pictures? How is your coming along? Still fooling with mine. High 12's won't do the job! Think I need more converter in order to launch this tri-power with out bogging.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 04-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Troy,

Yeh mate...I got the pics...nice cars....and no...I don't get snow like that where I live..I complain if the hose is frozen!! LOL

I just got back from the Pontiac Nats in Australia. My car is still in getting the diff fitted. I ended up putting 3.7's in it. see how she goes. I'm just waiting for my Tailshaft to be completed and transported from interstate then I can go for a run. I'm hoping to get to the track on the 21st May if all goes well. I'll email you some more pics when I scan them.

I had a ride back in my mates '60 Pontiac with the 572 Chev...what a machine!!!! I loved it!!

Greg

Old 04-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great! Glad you got them OK. I can't wait for the Tri-power Nats this Summer myself. They are run in Norwalk,Ohio. I may be selling my show car as I have the urge for a 63 Tempest Coupe/SD clone for street use. I s your buddy's 60 a four door? 572 C.I. of any description should fly!
Later mate

ECM member.
MANDRA