Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-22-2000, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Guys! Well I have tinkered with this on and off for the past few days and can not figure this out. I just purchased a new set of solid motor mounts for my '66 GTO from Indian Adventures. (I believe these are Mr. Gasket mounts) At any rate, I simply can not get the motor to "sit back down" on the mounting pads. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to message the brackets at all before installing them (ie dinging them in any special location). Is there a right and left side? Both looked the same to me. The alignment is bad enough that I am unable to insert the motor mount bolts. I have been close enough to get one bolt in but not all the way through. The stock ones came out no prob.

I hope I described the problem accurately and you can tell what I am talking about. I am getting frustrated!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO, 389 4 spd with Trips
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

Tin Indian Performance Rear Engine Dragster 7.66 @ 172 mph 494 with KRE High Port Heads

www.tinindianperformance.com
330-699-1358
Old 06-22-2000, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Guys! Well I have tinkered with this on and off for the past few days and can not figure this out. I just purchased a new set of solid motor mounts for my '66 GTO from Indian Adventures. (I believe these are Mr. Gasket mounts) At any rate, I simply can not get the motor to "sit back down" on the mounting pads. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to message the brackets at all before installing them (ie dinging them in any special location). Is there a right and left side? Both looked the same to me. The alignment is bad enough that I am unable to insert the motor mount bolts. I have been close enough to get one bolt in but not all the way through. The stock ones came out no prob.

I hope I described the problem accurately and you can tell what I am talking about. I am getting frustrated!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Kevin Swaney
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

Tin Indian Performance Rear Engine Dragster 7.66 @ 172 mph 494 with KRE High Port Heads

330-699-1358
Old 06-22-2000, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a left & right side. If you look at the stock mount you will see the difference in height from the flat to the bolt hole. And the frame mounts are the same way. The short mount goes on the long frame mount and the long mount goes on the short frame side. I fabricated my own, but my shop dude ( the guy that cuts, measures & welds) is out racing arca cars and I don't have any spares. Later, dude

Old 06-23-2000, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem with my solid mounts. I had to do significant grinding on them to get them to fit. As I recall I had to make the sides angled instead of straight, do touch up around where the bolt goes through, and I think there was some other grinding. First, make sure they seat on the frame mounts by themselves. Then make sure they fit the block recesses. I spent quite a bit of time grinding mine, then had to do it all over again when I moved them to another car.

Old 06-26-2000, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Guys! Motor mount update....

First I take the units off and swap sides using PDudes, theory. NO DICE. I subsequently measure my stockers and there was little to NO difference in the mounts. Neither in bolt hole depth or width between the bolt holes. I am a little confused PDUDE! I believe the braces that attach to the frame are different (but i was unable to measure those with the motor in the car). But the mounts looked identical.

Then I called Dick @ Indian Adventures. Dick stated that they have sold lots of these with no problems. We also talked about some install options. I was VERY impressed with how Dick handled my problem and happy with the options he presented. He reaffirmed my feelings about the company.... Top Notch and very helpful. Thanks Dick!

How did I get them in????? I ended up elongating one hole on each side of each mount and doing some "strategic" jacking of the motor.

OMT, good to hear from you! Thanks for the info.

GTO Nats, here I come!

------------------
Kevin Swaney
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

330-699-1358
Old 06-26-2000, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a restorer or into what the factory does. However the 66 GTO that I own had different frame mounts on each side. and the factory motor mounts are different left & right. If this helps or maybe someone can tell me what is the deal. The frame mounts on the goat are slotted up and down in the frame section, not a hole persay. And the one mount is longer then the other, off of the crossmember. The motor mounts if you measure them look almost identical untill u put them side by side and try to stick a long bolt thru the both of them then you can see they are different length. I don't know, but someone tell me what the deal is, Later, http://Pontiacpower.cc

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 06-26-2000).]