Old 12-26-1999, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. I have located an NOS front deflector and a very nice rear deck wing to put on my 70 GTO. The wing is fiberglass but still has some serious weight to it. I am told the standard deck lift springs will not lift the trunk lid with the wing on it and I need the correct springs from (I assume) a real Judge. How do I tell the correct springs? Diameter? Part number? Help.

Old 12-26-1999, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. I have located an NOS front deflector and a very nice rear deck wing to put on my 70 GTO. The wing is fiberglass but still has some serious weight to it. I am told the standard deck lift springs will not lift the trunk lid with the wing on it and I need the correct springs from (I assume) a real Judge. How do I tell the correct springs? Diameter? Part number? Help.

Old 12-26-1999, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,
I called one of my buddies with a Judge. He said the torsion springs are ALOT bigger. I hope this helps. Oh yeah, do you think the front air dam on the '70 GTO (Judge?) will fit on a '68? I noticed I have mounting holes under my lower valance panel.
Thanks-

------------------
John

Old 01-26-2000, 09:53 PM

On my 70 GTO , I installed the rear wing and you are right, heavy !!
What I found was that the springs are adjustable for more or less tension,the springs fit into slots on the wheel well to rear deck support.Using a 3/8" pipe tighten it up, the lid will not spring open but at least it won't fall down at a show or hit you in the head.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 AM

All the LeMans and GTOs and Judges I have seen have all had two trunk springs with matching diameters (although the springs for the judges are indeed thicker). The 1970 Judges I have had had a 0.340” diameter spring where as the 1970 GTO, LeMans, or Tempest springs are all 0.310” diameter. The non-Judge 69 GTO springs are all made of 0.290 diameter spring steel. Please, I need the exact diameter for the 1969 “thicker” diameter judge trunk spring. Could someone post it here.
Jeff

Old 04-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOTHING SPECIAL on a 69 a 70 should have 1 larger & in the rearest position

Old 04-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

I was told and have read that the rear Torsion Bars on the '69 Judges were in fact both larger in diameter than the regular GTO/LeMans torsion bars.The 1970 Judge torsions bars had only 1 of the bars that were larger than the other one.

The front lower air dam spoiler on a 1970 Judge will not fit a 1968 GTO..I bought a brand new '70 GTO front spoiler to put on my '69 GTO back in the early 1980's and it is too wide!Since the 1968-69 GTO's were the same in width my guess would be it wouldn't fit a '68 GTO either...unless you could cut it down to fit?

There is a guy here on PY that made his own front spoiler for his Triple Black '69 GTO.You could check with him and see what he did to make his?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

69s in the rearest position aswell

Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

front spoiler will NOT fit. JAYCEE WHITNEY used to sell them for a 69. There is a pic on a judge convert in the BIG LITTLE GTO BOOK towards the back. IM in love with it & want to make but ive got way toooooooo much going on

Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Hi, the 1970 GTO Judge I have shipped Oct 3, 1969 indeed has both, thats both, springs with a thickness of approx .340". I know in the GTO book it says one Judge spring is different but that is not universally correct as I have two that are bigger @.340". The 1970 GTO and Lemans are .310"and the 69 GTO is .290". The 1970 Judge springs I have a left and right shape but are both .340" diameter. The bottom line is the real Judge I have has two thick springs, the book says some had only one. If you take the spoiler off and open the trunk lid you can launch projectiles with it like a catapult and it will loosen your front teeth if your head is in the way as it opens. Can anyone chime in that has a 69 GTO Judge with measured diameters. Hey maybe some 69 Judge springs are the same diameter as the 70 Le Mans/GTO springs.
Jeff

Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold a set of the larger trunk rods for 350, two years ago.

When set side by side, they are certainly larger.