Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

I'm just planning ahead here, wondering if anyone has experience with these two intakes, and their results. Also, is Warrior Racing a good resource for parts? I'll either freshen up the 428 next fall, with a change to a roller cam, or build a new combo using a 400 4 bolt. Right now I'm leaning towards the 428 with more cam, tire, and converter. Car is a '63 LeMans weighing approx. 3200- 3400 lbs. 3.90 gears,
TH 400. Heads are ported #62's
Would like all input you guys may have. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

I'm just planning ahead here, wondering if anyone has experience with these two intakes, and their results. Also, is Warrior Racing a good resource for parts? I'll either freshen up the 428 next fall, with a change to a roller cam, or build a new combo using a 400 4 bolt. Right now I'm leaning towards the 428 with more cam, tire, and converter. Car is a '63 LeMans weighing approx. 3200- 3400 lbs. 3.90 gears,
TH 400. Heads are ported #62's
Would like all input you guys may have. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2003, 01:52 PM
On Vacation

Stay away from Warrior Racing.

A modded Warrior (it's really a Nash) intake will flow with a stock Victor. A modded Victor will outflow anything but a sheetmetal inatake.

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 05-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with Bruce, on this one.

A very good "Warrior" (Nash) like the one on Jim
Brady's engine was used as the benchmark for the
Victors when the design work was in process by
the Edelbrock team. (It originally was on David Butlers Firebird before Jim Brady bought it).

Maxed out it went about 275 cfm at 25" h2o on a
flow bench.

A stock Victor (850 style or Dominator style) out
of the box will go with-in 2% of a 282 cfm head
(Edelbrock) in actual testing (276 cfm).

The Warrior will make more torque at lower rpm but the Victor is a better race manifold. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input, guys. I have several options ahead of me for the next more radical set-up in the LeMans. I just nailed it pretty good for the first time yesterday, and I already have traction issues. I think the ported heads really woke up this 428, it hits the tires hard. I'm just dialing everything in now, and getting prepped for paint. Trying to get to the track by July or August. I'm sure I'll have more questions, look forward to your advice.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got my Warrior back from Dave at SD Performance. ITs now fully ported and modified. The reason I opted to go with the Warrior over the Victor was I can still run a 1" spacer on top of it and keep everything under the hood, but I am sure you are probably using a hood scoop on your car so the Victor would probably be a good choice. You'll also have less $$ into a Victor

1967 GTO 400 4-speed (416) #62's 11:1 solid lifter 6.8 Eagle/Ross full exhaust 11.80's@116---> UPDATED, heads race ported (287/200) and extras; shooting at low 11's in the spring!

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold
Old 05-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GOT ANY PICS?!?!?
would like to see a comparison to the warrior i have.

1973 SD455 T/A
1979 S.E. T/A
http://community.webshots.com/album/16587603rOyvmFCiHs

Old 05-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look 'em over but don't over-look them!

The Warrior is the best low hood clearance intake and works suprisingly well compared to a Victor even with the low flow of the double turn runners. I was against them at first because of the small ugly runners, but HP and super Torque numbers as well as plenty of faster cars running have proven that they shouldn't be over-looked.

If you can run anything, Victor and of course Sheet Metal are the top performers.

-Rob