Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-08-2001, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

Hello all. I am thinking about putting aluminum heads on my 400, but I have heard that they can warp. Has anyone had problems with aluminum heads warping? Do they add alot more power? Thanks in advance.

- Joel

Old 09-08-2001, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

Hello all. I am thinking about putting aluminum heads on my 400, but I have heard that they can warp. Has anyone had problems with aluminum heads warping? Do they add alot more power? Thanks in advance.

- Joel

Old 09-10-2001, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only reason an aluminum head would warp is due to improper torque or over heating.I personaly have had no problems running aluminum hds.Keep in mind that w/running aluminum hds. it is necisary to change timing curve (init.-tot)due to the fact that aluminum hds. run a little cooler than iron hds making them more tollerent to higher comp. ratio's & lower octane fuels,But also hide detonation alot easier than an iron hd would.So let the debate begin!

Old 09-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

flowmaster,

Don't worry about them warping until you peg the temp needle on the hot side.

Your question "Do they add alot more power?" is a highly loaded one. It all depends on the total combo. I seriously doubt you would get any significant power gain plopping a set of aluminum heads on an otherwise stock engine, but I bet that's not what you're doing.

In the right application, the aluminum heads will work great and can offer quite a bit more power than iron, even heavily ported iron. Exactly where that point that aluminum becomes better than ported iron is highly debated on this and other forums (just search for "E-head" or Edelbrock and you'll see what I mean).

-Will

Old 09-11-2001, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Will pretty much nailed it down.

What type of set up are you looking to add the Es to? Really need more info.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 09-11-2001, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks alot guys. I just bought a 400 that i'm putting in my lemans. I am not sure about all the modifications I am going to add yet, and am just weighing out a few options. I really haven't started working on the engine much yet. I will be using the car mostly for cruising, and for fun, but I hope to be able to do well when I decide to compete. So basically I'm looking for a really fast street car that I can bring to the drag strip.

- Joel