Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Went to attach my installation kit tonight and ran into a problem. The slot in the arms that bolt into the side of the transmission are too short. The slots in the arms measure about 5/8" and the parts that it slides onto measures about 3/4". These are the arms that the rods fit into. Anyone else have this problem? The kit is for a Comp. Plus shifter, and the trans. is a M-21. Do I have the wrong kit, or do I just need to mill the slots out to fit? I know I shouldn' t have to but...

Old 03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Went to attach my installation kit tonight and ran into a problem. The slot in the arms that bolt into the side of the transmission are too short. The slots in the arms measure about 5/8" and the parts that it slides onto measures about 3/4". These are the arms that the rods fit into. Anyone else have this problem? The kit is for a Comp. Plus shifter, and the trans. is a M-21. Do I have the wrong kit, or do I just need to mill the slots out to fit? I know I shouldn' t have to but...

Old 03-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had both a M20 and M21 but never had the problem you explain. I too went and checked a shifter I have on the shelf and it has the 5/8 slot on the arms. what I would do is notch or cut a little off of each side of the trans where the arms bolt. I wouldn't mess with the shifter its self. you can cut an 1/16th off of each side real easy and make the levers fit. Good luck

Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the reply EMD201. Also, just checked the bolts that hold the arms on are 3/8". The slot is only 5/16" wide. The tapped holes are not heli-coiled. All this is very fixable, just don' t want to run into problems down the road.