Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok im goign to attempt to rig up a lead down tester here at home :P any suggestions on what i need.
Do you have to have a guage of sorts to tell how much leak down you have or can you just guage by the sound of air escaping if you have a problem or not.
What is the MAX psi i should shoot into the Cyl..dont wana damage anything.
Many Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok im goign to attempt to rig up a lead down tester here at home :P any suggestions on what i need.
Do you have to have a guage of sorts to tell how much leak down you have or can you just guage by the sound of air escaping if you have a problem or not.
What is the MAX psi i should shoot into the Cyl..dont wana damage anything.
Many Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-08-2003, 06:51 PM

Here's a picture of Summit Racing's leak down tester.They want $65.99 for it though.For starters you'll probably need a pressure regulator.I've never used one so I couldn't tell you how much psi you'd have to put into the cyl.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Old 01-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hummm looks like something i can make here :P
but anyone else have any suggestions of PSI to shoot into the Cyl's i have a regulator on the comperssor at the shop and if nothing else i can remove one from one of my other tools to use if i have to. just need to know how much air ot put into the cyl and what is considered acceptable leakdown. and can you tell just by listeneing to the air escape if you ahve an excess amount of leakdown.
Mike

Old 01-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A leakdown tester works by showing the difference in air pressure that is input and the air leak.

Most testers use 90#,but the main thing is to set a steady level.Then the hose is hooked up and turned on.It will show how much leakage.

You can tell where the air is leaking by where the sound is coming from.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates