Old 08-30-2000, 09:42 PM

What are the correct type of trim rings for the Rally II wheels? Are they polished (shiny) or do they have a brushed (dull) finish to them? Is the valve stem opening closed or open to the inside edge of the ring? Is the transition from the outward facing lip to the deep-set portion a rounded edge or is it "squared" (or stepped)? At the risk of being labelled a heretic, are there any rings for other GM cars that closely match the Rally II rings (good to know as I rummage the eBay auctions). Thanks for clueing me in......

Mike

Old 08-30-2000, 09:42 PM

What are the correct type of trim rings for the Rally II wheels? Are they polished (shiny) or do they have a brushed (dull) finish to them? Is the valve stem opening closed or open to the inside edge of the ring? Is the transition from the outward facing lip to the deep-set portion a rounded edge or is it "squared" (or stepped)? At the risk of being labelled a heretic, are there any rings for other GM cars that closely match the Rally II rings (good to know as I rummage the eBay auctions). Thanks for clueing me in......

Mike

Old 08-31-2000, 08:26 AM

mid 73? to 87 ralleys came with brushed rings with an open slot to the insied for the valve stem . not sure on the earlier models. my 68 had chevy rings on it when i bought it and my 72 came less rings, looks as if it never had them. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-31-2000, 08:50 AM

Woops...forgot to add the time frame I'm looking for in my original posting. These trim rings would be for a '67 vintage set of Rally II's...make that late '67 as the car was built sometime in June of that year. Thanx again.....

Mike

Old 08-31-2000, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What wheel code of rally II are you looking for trimrings. The two letter code is to the right of the valve stem. If you have 14x6 Rally II's, you should be alright with the correct style of early trim rings as long as you don't have the goofy '78+ KX wheels. The 65-68 Rally I & the '67-69 Rally II 14x6 wheels used a 4 clip attachment squared edge brushed trim ring. The fully polished multiclip 14x6 70-72 trim has been the servicereplacement for these as long as I can remember.The brushed 4 clip style are very hard to come up with in decent shape.

[This message has been edited by 'ol Pinion head (edited 08-31-2000).]

Old 08-31-2000, 03:39 PM

My Rally II wheels are coded JA...so I guess that makes them the 14x6 size. You say the square edged, brushed-finish trim rings are what the late '67's came with from the factory? I want to be sure because this is the type ring that's on the wheels now. I figured they must be from a later model Pontiac (mid to late 70's thru 80's)as they looked too "modern" for my '67 and I don't think I've ever seen a car of this vintage with the brushed finish wheels. Alas, however, they not in superb condition but suitable for the daily driver mode.

Mike