Old 09-17-2000, 09:59 PM

Ok I hope you guys can help me. I gotta crack in the outer water jacket of the engine block about 2 inches long. It just barely seeps at 18 psi coolant pressure. How do i repair this? weld or braze and will either be sucessful? Helpppppppp!!!!!!!!

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 09-17-2000, 09:59 PM

Ok I hope you guys can help me. I gotta crack in the outer water jacket of the engine block about 2 inches long. It just barely seeps at 18 psi coolant pressure. How do i repair this? weld or braze and will either be sucessful? Helpppppppp!!!!!!!!

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 09-20-2000, 12:11 AM

Had this happen with a dodge once. It was a Keith Black block so I didn't want to trash it. We used a stick welder with stainless steel rod. It doesn't take much amperage. Experiment on a scrap piece of cast iron. We never had another problem with it. I have actually patched holes in a block the same way. We actually welded a piece of steel over the hole using stainless rod. I hope it helps you.
Ron
rgrong@aol.com

Old 09-21-2000, 07:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

you could stick weld it with a rod made for cast iron. but i prefer the brazing method best. cast iron is really best left to a professional welder. its a very porous metal which also makes it a very dirty metal. its also very hard brittle metal because of its high carbon content. so, the best way to weld it in my estimation is to clean it well. abrasive and then chemical cleaning. preheat the cracked area with a torch. then braze using the proper sized tip. then cool it with a 00 tip on the torch. the pre- heating and after-heating are to control the expansion of the cast iron. its a very cheap metal but a complicated one to weld properly.
tony

Old 09-24-2000, 09:07 PM

I've got a '66 389 block that put a rod into the water jacket. Knocked a piece about 1" by 2 inches out. Had the piece welded back in using nickle rod. The guy that did it was a welded at a nuclear power plant. He told me that with nickle rod it would either crack immediately or it would hold for ever and most likely it would hold for ever. That was 15 years ago and it is still holding.

As Vaccaraj says, let a professional do it.

Ed