Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2000, 08:25 AM

i'm looking to put the engine[.060 455 balanced with mild head work] back together for the g/p later this year and am looking into different cams. lets hear some imput on your favorite brand and why. this is mainly a street driven car that will probably see some race action. the cam can have a mild lope but nothing real radical,and i'll probably stay with a flat tappet instead of a roller. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2000, 08:25 AM

i'm looking to put the engine[.060 455 balanced with mild head work] back together for the g/p later this year and am looking into different cams. lets hear some imput on your favorite brand and why. this is mainly a street driven car that will probably see some race action. the cam can have a mild lope but nothing real radical,and i'll probably stay with a flat tappet instead of a roller. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2000, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always felt Nunzi's 2041HL is a great camshaft. It's 222/232@.050, .450/.470" lift @1.5, 70 degrees ovelap, 109CL, 113LSA with 4 degrees advance ground in. This camshaft offers the best in low rpm drivability and high rpm power. My dad has been running one in his 72 T/A for about 12 years with TH-400, stock converter, 3.08 gears, stock intake/exhaust manifolds and A/C and P/B. The cam sounds great and even performs better. My dad and I both thought the car was very smooth before, but the addition of 1.6 roller rockers has made the car even more smooth and powerful. I was using the 2041HL in mine too, but I recently upgraded to the 2042HL Nunzi cam. Ask Kevin Dush and Chris Nash (455ho) what they think of the 2041HL. They are both using them in their cars as well.

Old 06-28-2000, 03:53 PM

Although I haven't yet gotten to installing the cam in my 455 (just got the short block back from the machine shop... waiting for to get the crank, rods, pistons, etc. etc. back from balancing so I can put it all together), I really like it on paper. I would highly recommend Nunzi, call him and let him know all about your set up and what you want, he'll help you out.

Later,
Kevin

Old 06-28-2000, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using a 280/288, mid 400 lift cam from Ultradyne in my 455 SD street/strip car. I bought it from Butler. Jim Butler talked to me at length about my combination. He had them grind it to his reccomendations due to the high flow and low compression of the heads. I don't know diddly about the effects of the cam gind on performance but this car is very smooth, has good vacuum (13-14lbs) and very good power (low 13's, so far).

Old 06-28-2000, 10:05 PM

In my opinion the cam design should add to the head work that is done. If you're using mostly stock heads, go with a similar grind to Nunzi that can be gotten from any cam maker. My experience with Reed cams here in Ga was good. I had the exact cam that I wanted ground for me. Since I'm not a racer but I have experience with a few Pontiacs and their response to certain cam profiles, it made sense for me to have one ground to my specs. The greater point is that I could have most any hydraulic cam profile custom ground for $119. If there's a cam supplier in your part of the country, I sugest having your own cam ground to your own specs for around $100.