Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2001, 08:45 PM

Ok I'm thinking about selling my motor out of my car so that I can start over this winter. The motor is a 1968 350 bored to 362 cubic inchs. Everything is stock with the exception of the cam, but I don't have any specs on it. I want to sell everything for the oil pan up to the heads. The motor has some where around 18,000 miles on it since a rebuild in 1997. The motor runs strong and I don't have any problems with it. I lost my job and need to make my truck payment. Plus I want to build up the 400 that I have in my garage.
How much do you guys think I could sell this motor for? It is in the car right now and if anyone is interested I can show you video of it.
Thanks for your time.
Jason

Old 11-24-2001, 08:45 PM

Ok I'm thinking about selling my motor out of my car so that I can start over this winter. The motor is a 1968 350 bored to 362 cubic inchs. Everything is stock with the exception of the cam, but I don't have any specs on it. I want to sell everything for the oil pan up to the heads. The motor has some where around 18,000 miles on it since a rebuild in 1997. The motor runs strong and I don't have any problems with it. I lost my job and need to make my truck payment. Plus I want to build up the 400 that I have in my garage.
How much do you guys think I could sell this motor for? It is in the car right now and if anyone is interested I can show you video of it.
Thanks for your time.
Jason

Old 11-25-2001, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sorry Jason, but 350s just aren't in demand. I'd start checking with local Pontiac clubs to see if there's anyone restoring a '69 car who needs a numbers matching engine as that's your only hope of getting decent money out of it. Otherwise, I think you'll be hard pressed to see more than $200 from it.

Not trying to be a smartass, but that's just the reality of the situation. People looking for Pontiac engines generally don't want to pay much for a 350 when 400s are still relatively plentiful and cheap. If you can get $500 for it on the strength of it being a solid, recently rebuilt engine I think you'd be doing very well.

Old 11-26-2001, 01:03 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry Jason, but I would have to agree with Will! There is not a demand for this engine except for the person trying to retur their car back to numbers matching! Hope you find someone, maybe you can dump it off on a youngster that is looking for a motor for his first car!?!? It is after all rebuilt and hopped up a little! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2001, 04:10 AM

Unfortunately almost every decent Pontiac car I find has had the engine replaced with a 350. I have never had one that didn't run good or that was worn out so the value can't be much. I would say you should get around the price of a sb chevy (305 or 350 2 bolt main) in equivalent condition.

Old 11-26-2001, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you live in a trailer park, remove the heads and use the block as a planter.
If the heads are an undesirable # they make pretty good parking bumps, boat anchors, or can be used for ballast.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 11-26-2001, 12:15 PM

Na I use the ford heads for that kinda crap.

I was looking to get around $300-$350 for the motor. I might also throw in a TH350.

Thanks for the help
Jason

Old 12-05-2001, 06:48 AM

You may be able to get that for a good running 350 and tranny.