The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-20-2001, 10:03 PM

I have the car down to the frame rails with the body on and engine and tranny as well as most accessories on. Is there any tips to go by for the reassembly? Specifically I'm trying to avoid the "Boy, I wish I had installed this thingy b4 I installled that thingy" scenario.

Thanks

------------------
Ross Little
Wichita Falls, Tx
74 SD455
86 Grand National(sold to help finance the above money pit)

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 12-20-2001, 10:03 PM

I have the car down to the frame rails with the body on and engine and tranny as well as most accessories on. Is there any tips to go by for the reassembly? Specifically I'm trying to avoid the "Boy, I wish I had installed this thingy b4 I installled that thingy" scenario.

Thanks

------------------
Ross Little
Wichita Falls, Tx
74 SD455
86 Grand National(sold to help finance the above money pit)

Old 12-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are replacing the front springs, I suggest a spring compessor the internal type. Also if you are doing the control arm bushings, put them in the freezer 24 hours before installing them in the control arms. It makes the assy a heck of a lot easier!!!

Old 12-29-2001, 08:38 PM

Thanks, Steve...done got them rascals in there (wish i'd have known about the freezer tip!)...ready to hang sheet metal.

Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2001, 02:22 AM

I have just got finished doing this 4-5 months ago. Before you start, make sure that your heater and ac connections are all on first, as they are very hard to get at with the fenders on. Of coarse, put the radiator support on first, without that you cannot install your fenders. Then throw on the front bumper, as it is easier without the fenders being in the way. The first fender I installed the wheel well fisrt, and had a very hard time lining up the fender. It was no fun at all. I found it is much easier to put the wheel well on the fender first, but do not tighten the bolts all the way. To help, start the bolts in the wheel well first, as the fender will hang there without you holding it up, then you can move the fender around to straighten it up. I have found it much easier that way. Before hanging the fenders, run a couple of strips of masking tape over the front lip of the door, and the back lip of the fender, as this helps you keep from scratching the surfaces. Also put masking tape on the screw driver that you will use to help line the fender up with, as that will keep you from having scratches also. Then after the fenders are on, throw the hinges on, then the hood. Preferable to have 2 people for the hood. I have installed hoods by myself, but it is no fun. Now on to re run your wiring, and after that, your nose piece. This is the easiest way I have found. Hopefully this helps.

Old 12-30-2001, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info!..Did you install the extractors before you installed the fenders and then paint?

Old 12-30-2001, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Extractors should be painted seperately from the fenders. It's too difficult to get the paint inside the extractor if it's mounted. Don't forget to paint the grilles black and mask them first!

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Chiefpontiac ]</p>

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black
Old 12-31-2001, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my experience, the best way to go is to test fit all the pieces, then disassemble and paint, then reassemble. Start with the doors and work your way forward. Once aligned with the rockers and door jam, tighten the door hinge bolts. Next bolt the inner fender wells up to the radiator support and the rear support gussets but leave the bolts loose. Have a buddy help you bolt the fenders on but leave the bolts loose. Next, bolt on the hood and align/shim the fenders to the hood and door then tighten up the bolts. This should put everything in place for the rest of the front end components.
Just my thoughts.